cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet selects Thomson to provide next generation of Broadband Routers

After months of negotiations with numerous router manufacturers, we've finally chosen our new router supplier. We've tested lots of different routers and we're pleased to announce that we've now reached an agreement with Thomson to supply our next generation of Wired and Wireless Routers. We're initially going to provide the Thomson (aka Speedtouch) 585v7 4 Port Wireless routers to our BBYW Option 2, 3, Pro customers, as well as for some our business products.  For BBYW Option 1, we'll be sending out the wired Speedtouch 510v6 or 516v6 routers. What will this mean for our customers?  One of the most important things from my perspective is going to be the ease of setup - probably one of the easiest we've seen so far.  Also, the 585v7 is extremely good at handling telephone lines with a high degree of line noise.  That's especially important to a line using the ADSL Max service and wil also make a big difference as we move into providing the faster ADSL2+ service. What's really exciting about this move is  that the new kit will support TR-069, and will feature a special Plusnet firmware version that will be optimised specifically for our broadband service.  Once we've finished the development work (probably early next year), we will be able to help configure a router for our customers as soon as they connect it to their telephone line. This means that they won't need to give us a ring to check their username or to confirm some of the settings as we will be able to set it for them (optionally).  It'll also give us the ability to run some more advanced diagnostics, should they see a fault on their line. This change will help our new customers enjoy our service even more, taking away some of the stress which comes with setting up your router for the first time. James

0 Thanks
18 Comments
18 Comments
johpal
Grafter
Any plans to 'upgrade' existing customers?
geewizz1
Not applicable
@ johpal : If you upgrade and take on a 12 month contract then I believe you would qualify for a new router.
Ianwild
Grafter
In about six weeks we will have the new firmware sorted and at this point I think we will be offering a router to existing customers. It certainly won't be free, but we should be able to offer a discount over the normal retail pricing. Ian
hook
Dabbler
Is this the same router that O2 offer with their broadband package? If so it is a truly awful piece of kit. The build quality is terrible and it's not user friendly at all. Trying to change any of the settings is a complete nightmare, and after weeks of trying to get the wireless to work on the one o2 sent my parents they've ditched it and are using the wireless router I got from plus.net when we first joined. Ironic!
Ianwild
Grafter
All the testing and feedback so far points to these routers causing less support questions than our previous model. We'll have to see if people share your view, but I personally think the build and the ease of use is good, and I'm also a big fan of the router CLI and some of the advanced features they can perform. Ian
anon_emouse_com
Not applicable
Im a current user with the 585v7.. It doesn't offer secure wds wireless bridging. only wep which is as good as not having any secuity!!
Ianwild
Grafter
The previous device we offered didn't have WDS at all. I can certainly ask Thomson about this, but I wonder if you can let me know which devices do support WPA on WDS (The router does support WPA etc in normal operation of course). Ian
community
Grafter
sounds like mixed comments about Thomson I am on Option 1 together Voyager 210 modem/router and want to setup a networking on a second PC. Can I purchase from Plusnet a 4 port router and stay with Option1?
rtapper
If we get the new router, will we be able to send our old one back to Plusnet to get it recycled ?
KEN_DRIVER
Not applicable
James, On the blog para 3 line 2 there is an "L" missing from "will" OOps! not checked carefully enough?
Jay3
Not applicable
PlusNet - Quick to cash in on O2's success with The 585 and TR069. what software are you going to use to remotely support our routers?
Colin_McLeod
Not applicable
As a customer who migrated a few years ago from Tiscali, and already had a speedtouch adsl modem, I did not benefit from any hardware available. I have been paying over the odds for a service I cannot get (due to BT line and exchange distance - best I get is 1meg) Would I benefit from the router, my problem is that if signal drops out, I often have to re-boot before I can start receiving signal again? (I have only recently downgraded to the basic service, but have now transferred my phone service to plusnet)
Simon_Richardso
Not applicable
One thing I noticed with the new Speedtouch 510 basic router package, is that appears to come with only 1 ADSL filter. I recommended my neighbour to Plusnet and I'm helping him setup his broadband. When it failed (I think a BT problem) I had no alternative filter to troubleshoot the connexion with.
Customer
Not applicable
hi there, just like to say i have been an plus.net customer for along time, and altough i dont get the 8mb speed, (i get around 1.5mb) i do like the way your company is run, the whole "unlimited" off peak downloading and the way you can view how much you have download this month, the only isp i know of that can do that. Now i work in the IT, i fix computers and install servers pretty much, monday to friday, and i have to been honest, the thompson routers aren't the best, please stick with the dlink or netgear routers you where providing before, they just feel more robust and user-friendly. This isn't a dig at thompson, i just personally dont like them. Also please dont go down the "BT" route of updating the firmware on the routers, as i have had about 30/40 calls with people with homehubs, bring them in and they have stopped working, due to kind BT upgrading the routers online and not asking the customer if they wish to "upgrade" to a certain firmware, or have i read this wrong? well keep you the good work guys. I just wanted to air my concerns as a long and loyal plus.net customer
suec45
Grafter
Yeah I have to agree with 'Customer', the upgrading of BT firmware in the homehubs can be a nightmare. Many people I know have been through many homehubs thanks to this 'feature'.
puddy
Grafter
optimised specifically for our broadband service= locked to plusnet? will you offer Thomson VOIP routers?
James1
Not applicable
Hi Puddy, No, we don't lock the routers. However, one of our firmware updates asks you which ISP you belong to and one of the options is "Plusnet". It doesn't restrict you from using the router if you're not a customer anymore. We don't currently have any plans to sell Thomson VoIP routers.
Markus1
Not applicable
Hi James, how can the advanced settings as prim./sec. DNS server etc been changed, havn't found a possibility to access these settings?