cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet adds new capacity on a new gateway

ERX-1440 We are pleased to announce that we have now activated an additional 155Mbps segment of central bandwidth. Customers connecting to the new segment will be terminated on a new gateway named pcl-ag04. When new capacity is added to the network, it takes time for the network to balance and for a representative proportion of the customer base to connect to the new segment. In order to speed up this process and help balance the platform to give the most benefit to customers, it may be necessary for us to temporarily disconnect a number of customers from the network. Should we take the decision to do this we will announce further details as a planned maintenance notice. We frequently review our plans for the purchase of additional capacity and will continue to do this based on projected customer numbers. Kind Regards, Chris Parr Customer Support

0 Thanks
14 Comments
14 Comments
Can these 155Mbps segments be utilised by 21CN?
James1
Not applicable
No. 21CN uses it's own central capacity. The centrals that we refer to here are only for use on IPStream and IPStream Max. 21CN uses something called an MSIL. http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Managed_Network_Solutions/MSIL_Ethernet.html
sassy62
Grafter
Er great news ..I think..but can someone tell me what it actually means????
Kevin4
Not applicable
sassy62: Basically centrals are the way 99% of customers are connected from the BT exchange to Plusnet before they see the rest of the internet. Everyone on plusnet shares them. So this is like adding an extra lane to that "motorway". Although as plusnet have a pretty big set of centrals its only a small increase overall. Like adding one lane to a (say) 20 lane highway. Its also impressive since segments & centrals are VERY expensive I think about £120,000 per annum to turn on a segment. In Feb08 an active segment (of capacity) cost £168,800 on top of the cost of the central (link) it was part of. See http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/28/how-uk-isps-are-charged-for-broadband-the-cost-of-ipstream/ And BTW plan to do away with them soon making it more expensive for the ISP even if its their sibling plusnet.
Mike5
Not applicable
Will this help with the spam problem that is causing the poor reputation. You can have as much highway as you want but it's useless while plusnet is blacklisted.
Dean2
Not applicable
I feel sorry for whoever is on this 'new' gateway, the 40% sustained packet loss this evening must be giving customers memories of 56kbps dialup.
mark_knight
Not applicable
I am just about done with PLusnet and i dont suppose this change will make any difference. Been here since 2005, speeds stil suck
douglas_prophet
Not applicable
i find plusnet better than my previous broadband with virgin.
Gary_Howlett
I been with plusnet (home customer) since they changed name from force 9 and have never looked back. Connecteions always low latency and high bandwidth, I think in all the years I only ever had 2 no-service incidents of plusnet's fault. My only problem is when do i get a gold watch? when was this page made...http://www.plus.net/info2/customer_testimonials.html ?
Darren2
Not applicable
yeah plusnet are great, after moving from a monthly package to plusnet pro, plusnet decided that this was now a 12 month contract, and not the rolling contract id been on since id signed up, and only told me after id got confirmation of the change okay then, give me a free router like new customers get on 12 month contract, "that offer is only for new customers" and now 3 days on from reporting a fault, that my full speed connection has dropped to 1.5 meg,from about 6meg nothing has been done, no progress reports or emails great stuff
Ben8
Not applicable
I'm with Virgin Cable at home, and my parents' Plusnet connection sucks in comparison... Unable to stream iplayer, blocked ports, and poor throughput. How is the traffic management not failing to provide what it's supposed to - a good level of network health (equalling throughput)? Support were lazy, too. "Not a priority, so we won't fix it"... I had to CHASE them to get even this response. Nice attitude.
ACP
Not applicable
Is the new central bandwidth just for Plusnet customers or is it also shared with BT customers? How separate are your networks?
Fireclown
Not applicable
I joined PlusNet from another ISP and I have the Pro package and I can't say that I am more pleased.
Shax
Not applicable
I have to voice my comments regarding speed. I've been with Plusnet for about 7 years, and the past 2 1/2 have seen speeds fall, so many dropouts that I cannot even begin to count them. Skype is all but useless, streaming media is a joke. I am sure there is some serious throttling going on between 19:00 and 23:00, as my connection is abysmal at these times, and it doesn't look like contention as it is so consistent. The only reason I stay is because of the webspace and associated goodies, but I'll soon have my own personal webserver up and running, and then it's off to request my MAC and I am off... Despite loads of calls, and email tennis with the "support staff", my connection is shyte.. If there is contention causing the dropouts, then maybe it's time to invest in some decent kit to get the levels down? (This comment applies to ALL isp's, and not just PN.)