cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Broadband Network

Over the past few months we've been working hard to build a brand new broadband network. We currently operate three different networks:

• 21CN for ADSL2+ and fibre customers which uses 1Gbps hostlinks
  • Our first 20CN network for some Madasafish customers which uses 155Mbps pipes
  • Our second 20CN network for everyone else that uses 622Mbps pipes

Our new network replaces all of the above with four 10Gbps host links (and we have two more 10Gbps host links on order).

Over the next 6 weeks we will be trialling the new network by moving a small number of customers to it. 20CN customers will be moved dependent on the realm they connect with;  the realm is the part of the username after the @ symbol.  Most of our customers use the plusdsl.net realm which will be moved in a couple of months time. The first realms to be moved were plusdsl2.net and metro2.net, this happened successfully yesterday. The migration of all our 20CN customers is expected to take around 4 months including the initial trial period. 21CN customers don't need to be moved using their connection realms. Instead we will periodically move customers over when they start a new connection over the next 6 weeks. Our first batch of 21CN customers connected on the new network on Wednesday. Once the trial period has ended we will move all customers across to the new network. We will try and ensure a minimum impact on customers during this work, however some customers may be disconnected briefly as part of the move. We will post details of any expected or possible disconnections on our service status page. The new network has a number of advantages. With four 10Gbps host links available we have a significant amount of capacity in reserve which can easily be increased with only a few days notice and makes it much easier for capacity planning. It also makes it easier to manage and keep the network in balance. Our intention is to have moved all of our customers onto the new network by the middle of April in order that we can decommission the old networks. We'll post regular updates to say how the migration is going over the next four months. Dave Tomlinson Plusnet plc

0 Thanks
16 Comments
16 Comments
fourfourdevon
Grafter
Is there anyway to tell if you have been migrated yet or not?
CommuniCall
Dabbler
All sounds good, but when will business Customers be able to get 21cn 20mb broadband or fibre 40mb broadband? Current 8mb service is excellent, but now a long way behind the competition
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Simon, I think you're likely to see the emergence of these products towards the start of the next financial year. In the interim, you're entitled to take part in our Fibre trials if it's available in your area - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87700.0.html If fibre's not available but ADSL2+ is, then raise a support ticket and ask for it nicely and I'm sure we'll be able to sort it out for you Wink
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@fourfourdevon, there's no easy way to tell if you've been migrated I'm afraid. At the moment the only 20CN customers we've moved are those on the @metro2.net and @plusdsl2.net 'realms'. If you're on 20CN and you use one of these realms as part of your connection username then there's a possibility you've been moved across. It's unlikely though. If you're on 21CN you may have been moved across, but even if you have, disconnecting and reconnecting will put you back on the 1Gbps links at the moment.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
I used to use plusdsl2 when you had the RIN option, and reading on forum about reset my Router to that. Speeds enjoyed remained same, though today have fallen over; ie drop of 1mb on d/load. However reverting to plusdsl makes no difference, as I've flagged on Broadband forum. My exchange shows no future plans for 21CN.
Apprentice
Grafter
"The new network has a number of advantages. With four 10Gbps host links available we have a significant amount of capacity in reserve which can easily be increased with only a few days notice and makes it much easier for capacity planning. It also makes it easier to manage and keep the network in balance." Will that mean that PN's traffic management could become less severe, especially for the pre-takeover Madasafish customers 😛
Chris
Legend
@Apprentice It'll make the traffic management easier for us to administer. Pre-takeover MAAF customers don't actually go through the ellacoyas (IIRC) so shouldn't have any traffic management applied to their accounts.
Apprentice
Grafter
@Chris Parr Re. the ellacoyas Is that customers with the login @go-broadband.com who don't get traffic managed? Do the old Redbush gateways avoid sending data through the ellacoyas?
Derek
Not applicable
I have been moved today 1200noon to ADSL2+ When will I notice higher speeds? Derek
Eric2
Not applicable
Are you all living in dreamland fast speeds 1 or 2 of you are happy with 8mb. I wish I could get 1mb at the moment I am getting a speed of about a quarter of a meg and it,s been like that for as long as I can remember.soon as my 12 mths are over I will be leaving plusnet.
Derek
Not applicable
I am getting 3mb that was before upgrading to ADSL2+
Derek
Not applicable
Any comment from plusnet?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI Eric, Have you a ticket number you can reference so I can take a look at it for you? Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI Derek, I'll look into that for you now. Jojo Smiley
Not applicable
[...] We’re not stopping there. Since the middle of last year we’ve invested alot of money in our broadband network, replacing the older 155Mb and 622Mb pipes that used to form the backbone of the UK’s broadband network with 10Gb hostlinks – you can read more about our new network in Dave’s blog. [...]
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Hi I guess the transfer to the new network is complete now? I have not seen any updates on this subject as mentioned in the original blog.... Are the old centrals now being decommissioned? Richard