cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key players pass verdict on Google Lively

Any readers following developments of Google Lively (you'd be hard-pressed not have noticed that we are with our PlusNet 'Lively' Towers) may find this article interesting. Two of the key players in the virtual worlds industry have published their opinions of Google's foray into the scene on their personal blogs Electric Sheep Company CEO Sibley Verbeck had this to say in his blog, "Lively requires the installation of a plug-in, which even the most enticing ad just won’t get that many mainstream users to install in order to interact with a brand on-line." What do you reckon? How off-putting is the the fact that you've got to install a plug-in just to have a dabble? P-j

0 Thanks
5 Comments
5 Comments
Dan
Grafter
To have a dabble it'll certainly put off a high %. But if you're more curious, interested in most things google (good or bad), are interested in virtual worlds - and have a windows machine - then I think you're reasonably likely to add the plug-in. But the fact they've gone down the plug-in route surprises me.
phil
Grafter
A plug-in doesn't sound like much of a barrier to me. I actually think people are more likely to insall a plug-in than a whole app (a la Google Earth). I'll admit that I've never dipped my toe into Second Life but, from what I've seen so far, Lively is closer to The Sims than the more involved virtual worlds.
Rob11
Not applicable
A plug-in from Google or any major company doesn't turn many people off. With broadband internet it is usually a quick install anyways and then you're on your way. Considering I have a Google Account and Win XP, it wasn't very difficult to test out Lively. For a Mac user, or someone without a Google Account, they may be less inclined to try it.
petejackson
Grafter
Well, plug-in is probably a misnomer. It might in fact be better referred to as an application? it's certainly executable software, just so happens it runs in your browser.
phil
Grafter
@ Rob - Agree about the quick install. On the mac point - it's not currently available (XP or Vista only)