cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not about what you know, it's who you know

aardvark One of the best things about the internet is its ability to help you find things out.  Google is great, but it can be hard to find the stuff you need.  That’s why websites like Aardvark exist – sometimes it’s better just to ask the right person, through the power of social networking. When you sign up for Aardvark it asks you what kind of things you know a lot about.  Everyone else who’s signed up has done the same thing.  You can then ask a question and it will be sent to everyone who is likely to know the answer.  You usually get an answer in minutes, and you can have a nice chat with the person who helped you (if you like). Of course, it works both ways.  Click on the ‘answer’ section and you can have a pop at answering something yourself.  It’s really quite addictive, and it has a really nice atmosphere.  There’s something about many thousands of people coming together to help each other out that makes you smile. If your question has an absolutely factual answer, you can also try Wolphram Alpha.  It calls itself a ‘Computational Knowledge Engine’ – in other words, it’s a smart search engine.  Type in a question that has a factual answer (like “weather in the UK last year”, or “the world’s oldest living man”) and it will work out what you’re asking and give you a wealth of really easily understood information, including graphs, tables, and sources. Try it out here - Between those two, there’s not a lot that can’t be answered.

0 Thanks
3 Comments
3 Comments
magnetism2772
Grafter
I'm fairly new to home cooking so I've used google for cooking information, and the web links it gave have been useful enough to learn about cooking basic foodstuffs. i.e how long to roast a beef dinner for and what gas mark settings I should use to cook a sunday dinner. I've heard of Aardvark but if I remember correctly its a single cell life form? But in this application its sounds very good, I needed to know the wrench or sppaner size for removing two brake caliper retaining bolts, could I find it on google? well yes , hmm sort of it as it took me to one of those on-line car expert web sites. where this mechanic on the site said 'I sure can help you with this question' I thought how cool the web is , but then I saw another link 'how much is the answer to my question worth £5.00 - £10' ,so I would be given the answer providing I tipped the mechanic there so Aardvark could help me i i need to service my newish caror anything else. I could return favours by perhaps providing otherinforamtion to another. Its something I never knew was on the web. again useful as I shall be off asking it what ae the the pressure for my newish nissan micra
NSavage
It has already been really handy for me - I have some building work to do on my balcony at home. I feel I should be clear in saying I am in no way a builder, by any stretch of the imagination. I asked a load of questions on Aardvark and thanks to that I'm actually doing a half decent job!
podman1
Not applicable
I just signed up for this and noticed it had the option to sign in using google or facebook. I choose google. I was asked for my username etc and hit submit after which i was not logged in i was merely sent to a further ark page where i was asked to set up an account. If signing into google did not open my up with full access to the site why did it offer a google registration could iot be that this just harvested all my google contact details. I had just installed opera moble on my phone befpre going to this site and when i tried to type in google to go and change my password etc the browser NEW the address to the accounts page and had a long jumbled text kep preceeding the address. My advice beware. Devious and suspicious if you aksd me.