cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 7 - Are you ready?

From 12th of February Microsoft will be forcing the automatic upgrade of Internet Explorer 6 to version 7 via automatic Windows Update. Internet Explorer 7 is the newest version of the popular browser and was launched back in 2006. Despite this, over 25% of visitors to the PlusNet website still use Internet Explorer 6. If you are one of these people and don't know what to expect from the new version then worry not, this blog should help explain some of the differences and the new features. Current users of IE6 will be familiar with the browser looking like this: The new improved version of the popular browser looks like this: The main differences between Internet Explorer 6 and 7 are: - A new streamlined look to maximise the size of the web page view - Tabbed browsing allowing you to easily switch between webpages without losing your existing page -Toolbar with built in search box (MSN search by default) -Automatic text size reduction when printing so everything fits on the page -Increased security features protecting you from from fraudulent websites and online phishing scams -Stay safer online with Extended Validation SSL certificate functionality -A redesigned favourites centre Don't worry if you don't understand any of the new features of differences yet. With over 2 weeks until the automatic upgrade takes place you have plenty of time to have a look. For more details of the new features including a slide slow with numerous screen shots have a look at this review. Have a look here for the official Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 presentation. Hopefully this blog should help make the transition that little bit easier.

0 Thanks
32 Comments
32 Comments
beano
Grafter
IE7 took years to develop and it's still bloody awful at rendering standards-compliant web pages. Do yourself a favour and GetFirefox.com
I concur.
astarsolutions
Grafter
At least its better than IE6
notheruser
Grafter
...and yet we still have problems with web based software which doesn't work properly on IE7. Sadly until some of our software suppliers get their act together, we're going to have to keep IE6 - so our company will be blocking that update on 12th February. In any case, what do you think of Microsoft effectively "forcing" users to accept this "upgrade"? What if you're happy with IE6 (I'm sure there are people like that somewhere), and don't want to be forced to change? This really ought to be an optional upgrade!
Kelly
Hero
The problem is the maintenance of both versions; keeping them both patched must be a nightmare and IE7 is probably has a much safer base to work on.
firefly21
Not applicable
have had explorer 7 for some time. no prob with it. [and I am no expert]
firefly21
Not applicable
sorry. what you want me to say . I am green as they come firefly2
doug1
Not applicable
I have tried to load IE 7 three times on one machine and it hangs. It bnow is working: What I had to do was use IE7 tools icon and reset it. IE7-> tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset I have also flushed my cache and remove AVG.
Alan10
Not applicable
part of the problem is IE is closely integrated into the OS so your not just changing a browser, but you are changing lots of stuff underneath as well. Not to say it's going to break things but ya never know with MS lol. I don't like the idea that they are going to force an update to all user's machine. How long before they, say, remote uninstall software that they dont "like"... Also these "features" are not new. Mozilla has had them for years, Firefox and Netscape before that... GetFirefox.com
lowden
Grafter
What about me? I'm still on W98, and as far as I know, IE7 won't run on that.
jschlackman
Dabbler
This isn't true. What is happening is that Internet Explorer 7 is to be automatically distributed via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) on February 12. WSUS is the corporate system that can be used to manage updates to Windows, and is NOT the same thing as the Windows Update that home users are using. Almost no home users will be running WSUS, and for them, the rollout of IE7 will remain unchanged from how it is currently presented; as an update that will not be automatically installed without approval. Indeed, system administrators running WSUS will be able to decline the update if they want, so in fact, absolutely no-one is being forced to upgrade. The rumours that this would 'force' everyone onto IE7 were recently discussed and debunked on Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080123-the-ie7-auto-rollout-fact-and-fiction.html), backed up by the Microsoft KB article about the WSUS rollout (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;946202). If there's some real information saying that Windows Update will indeed be affected, I'd love to see it.
neilw
Not applicable
IE 7 is only supported on XP/2k3/Vista. On Win2k, IE6 remains... 2 of our machines at home run Win2k. There are still sites that don't work with IE7 too, so Firefox remains a more compatible option.
scaseman
Last time I tried IE7. I had major problems. My machine would not connect to the internet.. I believe the problem was caused by incompatibility with IE7 and my broadband modem. So unless microsoft is including a free router with IE7 I will remain with IE6. I suspect the real reason for this is an effort to move more people onto Vista
metman
Dabbler
Tried IE7 for two months and have reverted to IE6. Some pages slow to close and IE7 is a bit of an ergonomic mess.
ALAN_F
Not applicable
It really is funny ,but I've just changed my phone over to plus net. However force me onto that bloody awful IE7 "which I tried for a couple of week .Some months ago" watch me shift all from plus net. IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DO JUST SEND THEM AN E MAIL. Its up to me what I run on my machines as long as it causes no trouble to others.
Richard_N_
Not applicable
I "voluntarily" upgraded to IE7 some time ago without any major problems.However,as seems to be usual with MS software, it took a while to get everything running smoothly,which when you have alternatives like Firefox,is just not good enough. Interestingly though I have tried a Firefox Theme that emulates the screen appearance of IE7 and this,to me at least,has been one of the least dependable I have used.Surely just co-incidence!!
JW1
Not applicable
I know some web-designer types who think IE7 is a bit more secure and a bit more web-compliant than IE6 was, but as a user interface it is awful. I've been using IE7 for months although I still also use IE6 on my laptop and at work. My first reaction on using IE7 was how non-standard & cluttered it looked. Took me a while to get used to the "Back" button not being just above the main web page (the Favourites button is in-between). And as it says in the CNet review (see "this review" link) I still have trouble remebering where the Refresh button is. Everything of any use has been squeezed to make space for that fashionable "Tabbed Browsing" stuff. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, it seems to me that to be able to compare two web-sites side-by-side you still need to open a new window. I ended up re-enabling the Menu Bar (off by default) to be able to do what I wanted to, but even that re-appeared in a non-standard position (not immediately below the Title Bar, but in-between where the Back & Favourites buttons now are).
david_drage
Not applicable
FIREFOX does not cope with everything, alliance & leicester, try sending a message to them using 'contact us', and it has started running slow on some Ebay functions, IE7 is ok on the above
Frank_Marshall
Not applicable
IE7 is OK and at last they've made it possible for the user to print the screen onto A4! I had to use a utility before or cut, paste and edit in Word!! I could easily live without tabbed browsing though. THE THING THAT really BUGS ME, AS AN LONG TIME SURFER WITH LOADS OF FAVOURITES, IS THAT THE FAVOURITES 'ADD TO' IS BUGGED SO THAT THEY ARE ALL JUMBLED AND OUT OF ORDER....A REAL ROYAL PAIN!! :) This is a known bug and has been for many, many months, but nothing has been done to fix the problem. One other niggle is that I miss the old, straight forward, 'history' button. Frank
John16
Not applicable
As noted above IE7 won't install on my machine running Win 2K even with all the latest service packs, patches and regular updates etc. Also as noted elsewhere above Firefox has had tabbed browsing for ages. Otherwise the primary rule for all MS products seems to be 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'
Jim_Trickett
Not applicable
I upgraded my desktop PC to IE7 some time ago and found IE7 notoriously unreliable, shutting itself down for a reset frequently (and often at an inconvenient moment). I upgraded my laptop last month in the theory that by now MS would have improved the situation - apparently not!!!! If we are being forcibly upgraded by Microsoft, then I hope they have improved it with a serious Service Pack(?)
Jim_Trickett
Not applicable
I upgraded my Desktop PC to IE7 some time ago and found it to be grossly unreliable, shutting itself down for a reset at frequent intervals and often at inconvenient moments. I recently upgraded my laptop, hoping that MS had done something about it - apparently not!!!!! If we are to be forcibly upgraded, I hope that Microsoft have the matter in hand, or their competitors will have an avalanche of transfers. Incidentally, this is my second attampt at sending these comments - anyone like to guess why?
James8
Not applicable
Office 2003 applications will encounter problems unless you instal SP3 and other patches from Microsoft. Suggest you install all these updates/patches BEFORE upgrading from IE6 to IE7. Otherwise your Office 2003 applications won't load / will malfunction until you do.
John_W_Smith
Not applicable
By what I have seen about E7 on these pages it is absolutly stupid to make every one to change to something so unreliable. At 80 years of age I am very happy with E6 I do know what i am doing . If I am forced to change to E7 you and all Broadband company's will loose out. I do hope there are more who will stand firm and tell these idiots, a change is not a answer to the problem you are not solving a problem you are making real mess of things we all have to pick up the peices after them
James1
Not applicable
Hi ALAN F, I'd like to be absolutely clear. We are not forcing you to use IE7. This is an entirely Microsoft thing. We will never force you to use a specific piece of software. Users of Windows 98, ME and 2000 will not be forced to install these pieces of software, however a number of people on XP and Vista will either be prompted to do this or will have the new software installed automatically. You can control this via your Windows Update settings. Again, I'd like to reitterate that we *are not* forcing people to change their software choices.
John_P_
Not applicable
I am a computer engineer, this is typical Microsoft et al. They recently forced a company who was providing updates split into security vs other upgrades off the net as they want to CONTROL your system. They have no right to do things like this, you and I would be sued to hell and back if we tried these sort of business practices. These updates cause a great deal of harm to systems - I see it every day, I turn them all off (control panel/admin systems/ services/auto udates - double click and set to disable, then change the way security centre reminds you about updates)... if it aint broke don't fix it ... make sure you have an external firewall and good antivirus (free avg) plus spybot or similar and you are fairly safe, at least MS won't keep crashing you systems when updating.
Tamlyn
Grafter
"if it aint broke don’t fix it" - but it IS broke! I usually let windows update notify me when updates are available so I can choose which to download. Never had any problems with updates breaking my system but I know it does happen. IIRC IE7 was originally released through windows update but caused all kinds of problems because it included Windows Genuine Advantage which disabled many users of legitimate versions of Windows as well as pirated versions. WGA has since been removed from IE7.
Kim1
Not applicable
I'm dreading the 12th and will probably have as litle as possible to do with it all! It's all right for computer literate yongsters; but....
Peter8
Not applicable
I cannot get IE7 working on ANY site. I am reading this as a resource to enable me to get it working. MS are no help. Fortunately I got Firefox some time ago which seems to do what I want, which is to just operate simply on the web. We pay MS a fortune for their product and I liken it to having your house built with rubbish mortar!
Peter8
Not applicable
Something VERY rare for me on the computer, SUCESS. Having followed Doug Rices's recomendation on 28 Jan 08 my IE7 will now work with sites it failed with before. But I see that Firefox is vastly superior for me so I will stick with that. Anyway thanks Doug, and Plus Net.
Kelly
Hero
Brilliant! Glad it's working for you now Peter. Thanks Doug Cheesy
Not applicable
[...] Chris has even turned his hand to a bit of technical support, with his blog post explaining the differences between IE6 and IE7. Our new web designer Tim has been getting stuck in and helping us with the workload, as well as [...]