cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in central capacity March 2010

erx_200x200Some of you may remember the post I published last month about us lighting all four segments of a new 622Mbps central pipe? If you don't then you can read it here. Guess what? It's that time again! (... well almost) Over recent days engineers have been busy putting the final touches to the installation of our next 622Mbps central, affectionately referred to as 'Plusnet 16'. We've now lit the first two 'segments' of this pipe which is basically half of it (there are four 155Mbps segments per 622Mbps pipe). This means that there’s now more bandwidth to be shared amongst everybody on ‘Up to 8Mb’ 20CN platform. Customers connecting to the new segment will see their traffic routed through the gateway known as pcl-ag02 We’ve activated this bandwidth to accommodate the expected increase in customer numbers over the coming months, and the almost guaranteed increase in average usage as the year progresses. new_pipe_030310 When new capacity is added to the network, it takes time for it to balance and for a representative proportion of the customer base to connect to the new segments. In order to speed up this process we might  need to briefly disconnect some broadband customers from the Internet. If we decide to do this then we’ll announce further details as a planned maintenance notice nearer the time. We've been continuing to add bandwidth to our 21CN network (Up to 20Mbps) over recent months too!

0 Thanks
11 Comments
11 Comments
DavidH
Grafter
I was once a member of the Forum but they banned me rather than sort out my problem. Check out my thread for further details: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83516.0.html
bobpullen1
Not applicable
David, did you ever get up and running with us? Wasn't party to much of it but I was under the impression that you had your forum permissions revoked *after* cancelling your account?
Gleneagles1
Not applicable
Will this increase in central capacity make any difference to standard users. I would be quite pleased to get 2MBPs never mind 20 ! My average speed is around 1MBPs.... certainly to slow for on line games and TV programs
bobpullen1
Not applicable
It ensures customers will continue to get the speeds their line is capable of. In your case though Gleneagles it doesn't look like your line's capable of much more than 1250kbps Sad
Jan_Stetka
Not applicable
What's the device in the photo? Are there any photos on here of your actual switching/routing hardware?Huh
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Jan, it's a Juniper E320, these 'edge routers' or 'gateways' are where our BT centrals terminate - http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/e-series/ You'll see them referenced when you run a traceroute from your network. Tracing route to mail.plus.net [212.159.8.81] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms gateway.anfield [192.168.1.254] 2 30 ms 29 ms 33 ms lo0-homesurf.pte-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.65] <--- 3 29 ms 27 ms 28 ms ge1-0-0-406.pte-gw2.plus.net [84.92.4.26] 4 27 ms 28 ms 28 ms te3-2.ptn-gw02.plus.net [212.159.1.105] 5 28 ms 30 ms 28 ms te3-1.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.1.109] 6 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms gi3-0.pih-cr1.plus.net [212.159.1.177] 7 40 ms 38 ms 40 ms vlan7.pih-gw3.plus.net [212.159.0.26] 8 39 ms 40 ms 39 ms if25.pih-lb04.plus.net [212.159.0.18] 9 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms mail.plus.net [212.159.8.81] We also have a few ERX1440's and use Cisco kit to terminate some of the older 155Mbps centrals.
hemsworth
Not applicable
i have run a speed check on the speed it suposed to do no way is it doing the speed it should be doing connection of broadband is not stable either i am discussed with the speed i have sen faster speeds than this wuld know pass my findings on to the right deparment not pc its been even reformated on hd plusnet fault some where not happy with services its shite
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@hemsworth, have you a support ticket reference I can take a look at? Your problem will be nothing to do with the content of this blog, and there's not a great deal I can do without being able to locate your account on our systems?
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
the device in the photo is an ERX-1440
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Ah my bad, I'm thinking of the image we used to use for these blog posts! See here for example - http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/01/29/plusnet-adds-more-central-capacity/
Jan_Stetka
Not applicable
Shame about your unhappy customers I'm getting 7Mbps, very happy about that! Thanks for replying, I work in network support with Alcatel 78/9800s and visually they look similar to your junipers but sound like quite different routers