cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in central capacity April 2010

erx_200x200Those of you that haven't been keeping abreast of our Service Status feed may have missed the posts we made last week about us increasing the amount of central capacity available on our 20CN and 21CN broadband platforms. You can see the original announcements here and here. To summarise, we've now lit the last two 155Mbps segments of the 622Mbps central pipe referred to as 'Plusnet 16'. It's this bandwidth that's used to deliver broadband services to customers on our 'Up to 8Mbps' 20CN network. Customers connecting to the newly lit segments will see their traffic routed through the gateway known as pcl-ag02. As well as lighting the rest of 'Plusnet 16', we've also upped the available bandwidth on our 'Up to 20Mbps' 21CN network by adding a further 200Mbps across our two host links. Customers making use of this bandwidth will see their traffic routed through the gateways known as pcl-ag02 and pcl-ag03. When new capacity is added to the network, it takes time for it to balance and for a representative proportion of the customer base to connect to the new segments. Since the extra bandwidth was added last week I'm pleased to say that things are now looking nicely in balance! Smiley

0 Thanks
24 Comments
24 Comments
LezSpiller
Not applicable
So, with all this 'getting lit up' it's 09:45 on Wednesday 5 May and I'm finding my bband connection incredible S-S-L-O-O-O-W-W? Wot's up, Doc?
LezSpiller
Not applicable
09:52 WOW!!!!!! That was quick! It's now - as Pa Larkin would say - 'perfick!' Iaintseenanyfinklikeit! regards and thanks
Not applicable
[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Plusnet PLC. Plusnet PLC said: Increase in central capacity April 2010 http://bit.ly/97UdxW [...]
hugh1
Not applicable
my internet is so very slow slow slow
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Have you raised that with our helpdesk Hugh?
Paul9
Not applicable
My internet is also very slow, for example I try to watch Sky player in peak hours and it is not watchable (on the lowest quality settings). I’m on PlusNet Pro so I’m very disappointed at the moment. I have raised a ticket with the help desk have had not had a good response. Result of my last BT test: Download speedachieved during the test was - 513 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
bobpullen1
Not applicable
What was the ticket reference Paul?
Paul9
Not applicable
Hi Bob, The ticket number is ID: 33229341 As more evidence that this looks to be a peak time issue I conducted another BT test : 15:59 Download speed achieved during the test was - 1307 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps I understand the above results are within the acceptable limits and if the broadband was always like this at the worse then I could happily use Sky player.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Hi Paul, I've just bounced the ticket back to you. Your situation seems very odd if I'm honest 'cause everything checks out OK at this end.
Paul9
Not applicable
Hi Bob. I have replied to the ticket, thanks for taking a look. All I can say is something looks to have changed or the network is not being that well used tonight. Time 18:31 Download speed achieved during the test was - 4733 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
Paul9
Not applicable
Hi Bob, I have updated the ticket again. The test at 20:16 showed poor performance again.416 Kbps
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Have just bounced the ticket back Paul, we need confirmation that you've tried swapping your hardware out before we look at booking an engineer appointment.
MarkPawson
Hello, Thank you very much for increasing the capacity, this is welcome news. Do Plus Net have plans to support the new BT Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre to the Home (FTTH) broadband services when they become live for various exchanges (http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/)? Thank you
Adam0r
I am also unable to watch SkyPlayer during peak hours, despite being on Plusnet premium (And sync'ing at 8meg). I can pull down HTTP traffic at 800KB/s fine! Traffic prioritisation systems don't seem to be flagging skyplayer traffic up as streaming data and therefore it's being hit during peak times with 512kbps caps and limits, which is unacceptable for streaming! Oh and I have a ticket, which has been going on for weeeeks! I've already been told there's 'no resolution time estimate' on the issue. Ticket ID: 33197058
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@MarkPawson, we're already trialling BT's FTTC offering and we've recently activated the first of our test lines for FTTP. You might want to check out the forum thread here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82366.0.html @Adam0r, I'm guessing this is you as well? - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/3852056-skyplayer-streaming-a-no-go-on-plusnet-beware.html I'll take a quick look at your ticket now and will drop a reply over on TBB.
MarkPawson
Hi Bob, Thank you very much for the reply.
goatie999
Dabbler
Now that the extra central capacity has been updated, are trial users of the FTTC offering going to see the 20Mb bandwidth cap lifted so that we can take full advantage of the 40Mb service that FTTC offers? I've just re-checked the IP profile that Plusnet has me listed at (21000) against the BT Speedtest tool (35291). It would be great to see the full potential of FTTC 🙂
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@goatie999, it's not a capacity limitation that's preventing you getting optimal throughput. We need to write some extra code and make some network changes before we can lift the 21000kbps profile (basically we need to create some new profiles that we can then start applying to customers' acccounts). Unfortunately our developers have had more pressing stuff to work on recently, but I'm hoping it won't be too long before we get round to it.
Nick5
Not applicable
The last few days my connection has been very slow. I can't watch BBC iPlayer or any other video content. It is about the speed of dial up cica 1999! I've posted helpdesk requests online twice but have no responses as yet in last 36 hours. Currently this service is not fit for purpose. I hope it gets resolved soon or unfortunately I'll have to find a new provider...
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Nick, it sounds to me like your IP Profile has been lowered. What does running a speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com tell you?
Paul9
Not applicable
Plusnet support where unable to fix the issue. I will be leaving Plusnet in the next few days and will post another update once the connection has been migrated. I will carry out the speed test using http://speedtester.bt.com Thanks Paul
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Hi Paul, just checked your account and looks like it's closed now so not a great deal else I can do really. I'd have said the next step would have been to push for a VP swap at your local exchange. Really sorry we weren't able to resolve things to your satisfaction and I wish you all the best with your new ISP.
Paul9
Not applicable
Hi Bob, The issue in the end turned out to be within BT's network, it was an incorrect setting between the exchange and the core. It took three engineer visits to convince BT the line was ok. The call was eventually escalated within BT and then fixed in 48hrs! Regards Paul
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Glad to hear the problem finally got fixed Paul!