cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Photo Competition

slr_new.gifTo celebrate the launch of the community site we are running a competition with a fantastic Canon SLR digital camera up for grabs! To enter all you need is some holiday photos and an account with one of our brands. So grab your cameras and get snapping! How do I enter? You need to upload any photos you wish to enter on to this thread in the general chit-chat forum. Competition Rules 1. The prize draw is open to all existing customers of PlusNet, Force9, Free-Online or Metronet. Non customers can also enter the competition by signing up for a free dial up account with any of the above suppliers. 2. Entries to the competition must be made between Monday 30th July and Friday 24th August 2007. A panel of PlusNet judges will then decide upon the best 10 entries. The forum community will then select a winning entry from the top 10 photos. This will be measured as a poll on the community site forum. Community members will be allowed to vote for one of the final 10 pictures. If the community vote results in a tie the judges shall have the casting vote. 3. Your entry must be entirely your own original work, must not defame anybody nor breach any copyright. 4. Entrants are permitted to enter a maximum of 3 pictures to the competition. Any entrant posting more than this amount will have all additional photos removed. 5. All images must be uploaded in JPEG format and the maximum file size for a single image is 4MB. 6. Customers must be UK residents. In the event that the winner cannot be contacted by Sept 28th then the runner up will be the new competition winner. 7. The competition is not open to employees of PlusNet plc or their families, their agents, and anyone else who may be professionally connected to the promotion. Customers outside of the geographical area serviced by PlusNet are not eligible. 8. No cash alternative available for any part of the prize. There is one prize consisting of a Canon Digital SLR camera. The prize is subject to availability. PlusNet reserves the right to substitute any part of the prize with one of equivalent or greater value for any reasons beyond its control, including non-delivery by our suppliers. 9. No purchase necessary. PlusNet reserves the right to change, or close this competition without prior notice if required for any reasons beyond its control. 10. The prize winner will be notified by 21st Sept. The prize winner's name and county can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to “Holiday Photo Competition, PlusNet plc, Internet House, Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY” before 31st October 2007. 11. Winners may be asked to take part in any publicity reasonably requested. PlusNet plc will respect the rights and privacy of the prize-winner at all times. PlusNet plc is compliant with the Data Protection Act. Our policy is such that will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent excepting for the purpose of the delivery of your prize if you are a winner. 12. We reserve the right to remove uploaded images which we consider may cause offence or may be unsuitable or inappropriate for this competition, for example (without limitation) because of their violent, criminal, religious, political, racial, sexual or exploitative content. 13. Entry into this competition constitutes acceptance of these terms and entrants will be deemed to agree to be bound by them.

0 Thanks
14 Comments
14 Comments
James_H
Not applicable
Erm..... Should it be just Monday 30th, rather than Tuesday Monday 30th? Also, you gonna start the promised thread in Chit-Chat. 2. Entries to the competition must be made between Tuesday Monday 30th and Friday 24th August 2007. A panel of PlusNet judges will then decide upon the best 10 entries. The forum
Be3G
Grafter
It might be a nice idea to mentioned which DSLR it is - I'm guessing it's a 350D or 400D from the photo, but they're both similar cameras so it's difficult to tell precisely which one it is.
clickr
Its not a 30d unfortunately.If its the old 350d they are good.Had mine for over a year before it got sold on.
dakid
Not applicable
The Ts & Cs don't seem to make any mention of photo manipulation? I'm not suggesting anything so brash as stitching together bits of photos, or stealing someone elses, but simple things involving sorting out contrast and the like can make all the difference to digital photos, and even simple effects like mild vignetting can give photographs quite another dimension. Would it be safe to assume that in the absence of any specific rules relating to this that mild polishing with Photoshop is permitted (levels/contrast/colour balance), but that wild effects are disallowed (paint effects, artificial lens flare, etc)? Or is it simply a case of anything goes, as long as the original material is entirely the entrant's own? I've never entered a photography competition before, but didn't want to waste time on an illegal entry! Smiley
xpcomputers
Grafter
Yes... some clarification to the above questions would be appreciated. Anyone?
James_H
Not applicable
I'd imagine that anything goes for the same reasons you mention. If it makes you happier, add a caveat stating any tweaks you've made.
Epicure
When it comes to the public vote on the photos I do hope there won't be any cheating, e.g multiple voting. Some of them have been 'viewed' a suspiciously high number of times compared to others, and this might give a false impression of the most popular. Can we be assured that that there will be only one vote per person?
Chris
Legend
The format of the voting will restrict the number of votes per person. So no cheating allowed.
critos
Maybe I haven't got the hang of this, but I'm having trouble uploading images. I've tried several times to send three all at once, and the transfer always times out. I tried sending just one (around 2.2 Mb), and got a message saying the file was too big. I then tried submitting a message similar to the one I'm sending here, only to be told that I'd already submitted it. Help !
Chris
Legend
I've not seen that problem from here, have you tried uploading the pictures one at a time?
critos
Yes -- as per earlier note, if I try to upload a single picture, I get a message saying it's too big and I need to conctact the administrator, despte the fact that it's only areound 2.2 Mb.
Chris
Legend
You could upload them to your PlusNet webspace and then link to them in the competition thread?
critos
I'll have a go. Incidentally, I just tried again and got ... Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow. Please consult your server administrator for more information. Clutching at straws, it's not possible I'm having firewall problems? (Unlikely I guess, since I'm able to leave replies here.)
critos
I presume the link idea is just a matter of bunging them in my htdocs folder and then putting hyperlinks into the "Message" portion of the posting?