cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google is dead... The Internet is Closed

Graph of Plusnet's Google peering traffic And relax, it's back... but for about 5 minutes on Friday night Google was down worldwide for every single online Google service from search to YouTube to Google Docs. Read on to find out what impact this had on the Plusnet Broadband network ... Whilst Google have to yet to state what the problem was, the effect is pretty amazing with reports of traffic down by 40% during the outage. The UK probably didn't see quite as much of a drop off because of the time of day, but you can see a blip in one of our Google peering links with traffic taking nearly 30 minutes to get back to normal (see above). Usually, over the course of an evening, we see about 20-25% of our traffic coming from Google, with YouTube making up the bulk of that traffic. Makes you wonder what would happen if Google disappeared for longer. You couldn't even Google for search engines to find another search engine! Did you notice the blackout on Friday night? Feel free to share your post-apocolyptic scenarios with us by leaving a comment below ...

0 Thanks
8 Comments
8 Comments
Neil_Alexander
Not applicable
What would be more interesting to know is if in those five minutes, Bing traffic increased at all. 😉
Geordiegal1
Not applicable
It just stopped and gave a time out error after 5 minutes then I went to bing, its not the end of the world.
mattturner
Grafter
To be honest I didn't even notice. A couple of other blogs have some more graphs showing a similar thing: http://broabandtrafficmanagement.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/sandvine-and-procera-google-is-not-yet.html
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Wasn't just friday night google had issues last night too with google.co.uk failing to load and also youtube went down.
I didn't notice. https://duckduckgo.com/ is an excellent minimalist search engine. Google is stuffed with graphics - its presentation is heading in the AOL direction...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Neil, we don't have a specific graph for Bing and because a lot of the Bing site is hosted by Akamai it all just falls into the big Akamai bucket so can't really see if there was any increase or not unfortunately.
PNnewbie
Rising Star
I didn't even notice - but there again I use Yahoo !!!
chrisatsea
Why do people think that google is the internet, I have been using computers from when dial-up was the only option. I used metcrawler as my search engine and later Dogpile, now using Nectar as you get points for searches.