cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gibson launch a self-tuning guitar

Being a guitarist myself, I can't help but point this one out. Self-tuning devices have been around for a while, but now I can get it on a Gibson..

Gibson's Powertune system has been in the works for quite awhile, and although there are other axes out there that claim to tune themselves, only a Gibson will do for some. Reportedly, the firm is readying a "new line of instruments" that are equipped with the system, which includes "an additional set of pickups mounted underneath the strings that are used specifically for the tuning process." By using all sorts of digital electronics and fancy algorithms, the equipment is able to automatically tune the strings, but it only activates when users pull out the Master Control Knob. Purportedly, the system can have have all six strings back in tune "within a few seconds," and you can even utilize a number of pre-programmed alternate tunings if that's your bag. 'Course, it's certainly debatable whether the hands-off approach to tuning is worth the extra $899 or so, but it's sure sweet to have the opion. Click on for more pictures. Continue reading Gibson launching self-tuning guitars, rockers rejoice Source: Engadget

Now, would I actually use it? I don't actually know. Tuning is never usually a problem for me as I have 2 good quality, well set up Gibson guitars. Provided the strings are in reasonable nick, they'll hold their tune through a gig with only very minor tweaks. However, I break strings a lot, and how much faff does this add to quick restringing? If I used alternative tunings a lot, perhaps I'd be more convinced. It can take a while to retune a guitar entirely in the dark on a stage with a crowd looking at you. Mind you, isn't that what roadies are for anyway....?

0 Thanks
5 Comments
5 Comments
Be3G
Grafter
My violin could do with something like this... when I tried playing it a couple of weeks ago, I found the E string was a minor seventh flat. 😕
God1
Dabbler
$899? Hmmm... I think my lads (the guitar players) will stick with the $20 electonic box that does the same thing in a few seconds and save the other $879 towards a new guitar! Mind you, when they are megastars I will insist that they use the $900 tuner.
Kelly
Hero
$899 in the US will by you a new Les Paul Studio!
John_Bowden
Not applicable
You can never learn all there is to learn about playing guitar! That's whats so fascinating about the instrument. It is the most simple yet most complicated instrument.
Strat
Community Veteran
Is this going to start a guitar equivalent of the Vinyl v CD debate.