cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of Web Design (FOWD)

Just attended the FOWD conference which is the sister conference to the Future of Web Apps (FOWA). I would recommend looking at some of the presentations from the FOWA site. Some interesting items on there. With regard to FOWD:- Couple of really interesting presentation. Rei from AKQA demo'd some of the work the guys at that design agency are doing re: branding online etc... Some visually impressive material which costs a fortune to build and has historically been out of the reach of small businesses etc.. However the best presentation was the one where Adobe demonstrated their soon to be released Apollo project which promises (if the Ebay example was anything to go by) to offer some very cool development functionality for web designers to self build cool web apps. You can download an alpha release at Abode site and view examples of whats possible here. The most interesting thing for me about Apollo is that it starts to blur the distinction between online and offline apps quite nicely - and this is a technology which needs to be kept an eye on. Expect a launch date towards the end of the year and loads of buzz in the trade press / blogs on this product soon. regards Dean

0 Thanks
4 Comments
4 Comments
Kelly
Hero
More interesting now that it appears that it's going to be free for the basics. I'm always a bit dubious too about stuff that needs additional plugins/downloads to function....
Ryan_Carson
Not applicable
Hey Dean, Glad you could make the event and enjoyed it! Best, Ryan
Tamlyn
Grafter
The Apollo runtime is currently 6MB for windows so, assuming it doesn't bloat too much, it can simply be packaged up with whatever app you're offering. Contrast with the .NET runtime which is over 20MB.
Not applicable
[...] recent blog posts Future of Web DesignHave you got anything without SPAM?How To: SEO Page TitlesMicroformatsFuture of Web Design (FOWD) [...]