cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Day: 15th April

I've volunteered to be the editor today, and have found willing victims volunteers for the rest of the week as well. It's just as well I remembered actually, before I got so engrossed in some interesting investigations that took me up until 5.30! Jeremy from the CSC is first off the blocks today...

A busy day in the CSC with a lot of people away and people currently in training however every team have pitched in to try and make it as easy as possible to contact us!
  1. Faults calls - Customers calling to report new faults. All the usual faults have been identified although some agents have reported a slight rise in the number of no sync faults today.
  2. Provisioning updates - Customers calling up to check on orders that have been recently placed. Generally this is to ascertain the date of activation, or to confirm settings required or hardware delivery.
  3. Router Configuration - Customers either not going through instructions fully or struggling due to issues with computer set up. Customers have had issues generally due to dial up connections being present or from previous manual settings needing to be removed.
  4. Email configuration and faults - Customers needing help with their email client configuration generally this has been new customers unaware of the way our email system works or their correct email address.
  5. Fault Updates - Customers calling to update existing faults tickets or wanting updates on faults already reported. More often than not this has been due to messages left or SMS's sent to customers alerting them to an update being available.

Up next, it's James from Comms:

We're a bit small on numbers today with Matt being off shift and Chris being on the skive. Still! It didn't stop me making 9 cups of coffee (for myself) and badgering away in the forums along with attending a couple of meetings. As an aside, did you know we've got some of our staff killing themselves by running 10KM this weekend? You can even sponsor them by going to http://www.justgiving.com/plusnet Bob's been hiding in Networks. apparently working. Whether or not this is true I have no physical proof. Mand's been feeling Devtastic again, attending meetings, approving Development change controls and poking her head into various other corners. Guess what? It's April and it's raining. Possibly the most predictable bit of weather we've had this year. Bye James

We'll let the next poster introduce themselves...

Hello, this is Emily from Development We had a very busy and a very exciting day down here again! We are just finishing a huge project which involved most PHP Developers. After every big project, it is quite a challenge to integrate the new code with all of our existing code base. This is what we have been doing today and the past couple of days. We have to make sure that our new changes don't break anything and they work as expected. All this is happening in the background, on staging servers so we won't effect our customers with this. Kat mentioned our very successful off-site in the yesterdays End Of Day. We as a department came up with many ideas how to work more efficiently, what systems, processes to use to make our life easier. Most senior developers and managers spent some time today to discuss this event, and the conclusions. They are already making steps to use the new ideas we came up with. So again, fantastic and very productive day !

Ben from Networks next...

Hello again, this seems to have come around quickly! It's Ben here and I'm letting you know what we've been up to in networks today. Bedders and I have been upgrading the firmware on the diskpacks attached to the sunmxcore servers, which the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed we were doing this yesterday as well. Mark's been working on documenting the contents of his tangled brain, and getting secure access sorted out for some of our remote partners. Denis has been working on improvements for our IWF platform, fixing some multicast issues and working on replacing our older loadbalancers. Russ monitored our platform, nipping some smaller issues in the bud. Sarah's been supporting a rollout our developers did earlier and looking at Postini issues Josh has been planning our internal mail platform and backups. Mike's been having a quarterly review with NetApp, and working on our new AuthDNS system. As an addendum, Ben posted: Oops! missed Ade off: Ellacoya upgrade: SLS upgrade in staging environment, worked on Oracle backups import/export of dumps

Darren from Products:

A great day for me, I've been learning about Hardware content changing and more about how our online advertising works. Dave's been doing 21CN forecasting and updating Ellacoya rule sheets. Ian and Rich have both been working on our VoIP platform and Maria's been working on Product changes and preparing for the monthly rally.

Well, that looks like it for the day. Time to go home, Colin

0 Thanks
0 Comments