cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap broadband and great customer service - topping your wish list?

New research shows that more people are switching broadband suppliers, looking for cheaper broadband, better customer service and increased data allowances. At Plusnet, delivering cheap broadband and great customer service is at the centre of everything we do - and we've won a few awards for it too. So, this piece of news definitely grabbed our attention. Read on for more about the research - and to find out what we're taking from it …

The latest research:

You'd be forgiven for thinking that broadband speeds would be one of the top 3 deciding factors for people choosing between broadband deals - especially with all the current talk about fibre optic broadband. But new research has shown that cost, customer service and data allowances are topping the list for people thinking about making the switch from one ISP to another. According to uSwitch, new data from Roy Morgan Research has shown that 48% of broadband users who switched suppliers made the move to a new ISP because they were looking for cheaper broadband. 41% changed because they were looking for better customer service, and 33% made the move to another supplier because they wanted bigger data allowances.

What are we making of it all?

• Value:

Providing cheap broadband has always been important to us, and we know that price is becoming a top priority for more and more people, now that times are tough. It's good to see that people are getting savvier and are looking for better broadband deals instead of giving up t'internet - especially as Race Online stats show that the average household can save £560 a year by using the internet to shop online and pay bills, meaning that broadband can really earn its keep.

We earned a 4-star "value for money" rating from Which? - the independent consumer watchdog - earlier this year. The ISP Awards 2012 named us Best Budget Broadband. The uSwitch Awards 2012 rated us 'Best Value Home Broadband'. And our fibre optic broadband deals are the cheapest in the market. So we like to think that we're doing you proud when it comes to value.

• Customer Service:

We were really glad to see that customer service has become more important when you're choosing an ISP. Providing outstanding customer service is something that we really pride ourselves on - and we're always trying to improve and make sure our customer service stands out from the crowd.

Unlike other broadband providers, we're upfront about everything we do - we even let our customers moderate our forums so you know we're not editing or controlling what you read about us.

We're based in the UK, our number is free to dial, we don't use scripts in our call centres and we try to solve any queries in one call instead of transferring you from one advisor to another. And, every month, we ask 4,000 customers how we're doing and use their feedback to help us to improve our service.

You can read more about how we've been improving our customer service here.

If you use Twitter then don’t forget to follow us either for the latest news and information regarding any known service-affecting problems. We’re also available most days to answer any questions you might have or give any open support requests you might have a friendly nudge in the right direction.

• Data Allowances:

We're not surprised to hear that more broadband users are looking for bigger data allowances - especially following the UK launch of Netflix.

Back in January, when Netflix launched in the UK, we blogged that we thought we'd see increased demand for data and streaming, especially as our own early stats indicated that you were making a bee-line for the new service - with Netflix traffic accounting for 60Mbps of our overall bandwidth at peak times - a figure that continues to increase as more and more people take to streaming movies online.

Plusnet Extra comes with a 60GB peak-time usage and those in a fibre-enabled area who have Plusnet Extra Fibre have a healthy 120GB to play around with. All of our products also offer unlimited usage between Midnight and 8.00am each day so you can download to your heart’s content during the early hours.

Are you surprised by the stats? What do you think of our customer service and value? What do you look for when you compare broadband deals?  

0 Thanks
11 Comments
11 Comments
Jason3
Not applicable
Nope, it's speed for me topping the list. When you're in an area where the max speed is a paltry 1.5Mb and no fibre available then the above three don't matter anywhere near as much! Trouble is a supplier switch doesn't help here, would be nice for Plusnet to take up our cause with BT though 🙂
gazz1e
I'm currently have Plusnet Extra with 60GB usage and I think it's great. So great, even though I live in a fibre enabled area, I don't feel the need to switch to fibre. PlusNet should do a (no additional cost) 3 month trial offer for fibre. Once users have experienced the additional speed, I doubt they'd go back to non-fibre.
sealdriver
Hooked
I still find 60 Gb to be limiting. With no fibre option here I'd love an unlimited package. Any chance?
acarneiro
Grafter
"Healthy" 120GB data allowance? Seriously? With the likes of Netflix, iPlayer and Dropbox, in a house shared by three geeks, 120GB isn't even "run down with a flu", let alone healthy. Only good things to say abouts PlusNet's customer service, though... Smiley
Truthteller
Not applicable
GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICES SHOULD NOT BE SOMETHING THAT CUSTOMERS SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICES IS PARAMOUNT TO ANY BUSINESS THAT CARES FOR ITS CUSTOMERS CONCERNS. IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT PLUSNET HAS LEARNT THIS IMPORTANT RULE IN HELPING IT MAINTAIN CUSTOMER LOYALTY. JOHN LEWIS STORES ARE BUILT ON GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICES AND THIS HAS HELPED THEM RETURN PROFITS ON A YEAR TO YEAR BASIS. CHEAPER BROADBAND FOR A BASIC SERVICE WITH LOW TICK OVER SPEEDS OF 1MB OR LESS IN 2012 IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR THIS COUNTRY,BUT IT IS ALL TO COMMON FOR HOUSEHOLDS IN A LOT OF AREAS OF THE UK. THE PROBLEM WITH ALOT OF BRITISH FIRMS IS THAT THEY HAVE A RIP OFF MENTALLITY IN THEIR APPROACH IN DEALING WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS. I MYSELF AND MY FAMILY AND RELATIVES BOYCOTT ALOT OF FIRMS AND INFORM PEOPLE ABOUT HOW BAD THESE FIRMS ARE. LOW COST BROADBAND IS REALLY A PLAY OF WORDS. BROADBAND COSTS SHOULD BE LOW ANYWAY, THE FACT THAT WE LIVE IN RIP OFF BRITAIN ONLY MEANS THAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE AWARE AND LEAVE THIS EXPENSIVE PHONE/BROADBAND PROVIDERS AND GET A BASIC SERVICE FOR A BASIC PRICE. IF GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICES ARE INCLUDED AS THEY SHOULD BE ANYWAY ALL MORE THE BETTER. THE LOW COST POUND SHOPS DO VERY WELL AND CONTINUE TO EXPAND, ,WHY BECAUSE THEY OFFER GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY AND THATS WHAT PLUSNET OFFERS YOU. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICES ALL BASED IN ENGLAND IS A BONUS WHICH HELPS THEIR BUSINESS SUCEED WHERE OTHER LARGE PLAYERS LIKE BT ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF OVER PRICING AND VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICES IN INDIA WHO HAVE YOUR PRIVATE DETAILS, GOD KNOWS WHERE YOUR INFO MAY END UP. A SECURITY RISK IN MY OPINION. GOOD OLD PLUSNET DONT GET TO GREEDY AND GO LIKE BT OR PEOPLE WILL LEAVE YOU.
run187
Dabbler
@keith day .try talking to talk support then plus net .I would happily pay a few pounds extra for QUALIFIED support.I was told by talktalk when I phoned them"well I do no know what you want me to do about it " hmm HELP ME maybe .this was after They sent a bill to a debt collector AFTER I migrated to plustnet,some months prior to this they had taken 40 od pound out of my account for a dns and web a dress that I did not ask for nor did I want nor need,they still have yet to give me the money back. One letter and one phone call talktalk apparently made before sending me to a debt collector,now they THINK im giving the debt collector 60 od pound for apparently missing one month well i was not under contract .if i dod owe tt money ill gladly pay it but there is no way im giving the debt collector 30 pound extra after tt send one letter and make one phone call..
graham1
Not applicable
Plusnet or OK in urban areas those of us who have to pay a premium for slow speeds and 10gb a month it's a bit of a hard one to take. Perhaps 20gb should be the base provision to compensate loyal customers who would automatically qualify after a certain period of being Plusnet customer. Switches happen because customers don't think they are getting a decent service from their current provider. The current provider should be proactive with their customers and not take things for granted and rely on negative reaction from customers when wishing to migrate to a new provider.Plusnet is in acquisition mode consolidation mode also has a use in the commercial market place. Those of us who have been loyal customers almost since startup shouln't have to play the market because Plusnet can't be bothered until we decide to move to another provider then the deals appear. Plusnet has it's good points and I will stay at least another year!!
pgwd
Hooked
I have been a customer for over a decade with globalnet and then madasafish.Now it is run by Plusnet no one cares about customers, no one is concerned about you leaving no matter how long you have been a customer. I live in a rural area and have speed of around 2 M/s. Plusnet is charging a firstrate charge for a secondrate service. Graham thinks that loyalty should give a discounted service. Plusnet do not agree. They are not interested in the individual just the bottom line. I have just been looking at changing and after a few dismissive comments this got a positive reply. I await to see what "deal" I will be offered but BT sounds good to me.
Issy
Not applicable
I'd just like to say this is the best internet and phone company i've ever had I love the way i can check my usage and check how much the bill will be It's great and helping me keep costs down WELL DONE PLUSNET Smiley
mr_r_i_mackinla
Not applicable
i want broadband/new landline and hear nobody down phone two old wires,the man sold bungalow.and said phone old.i.d.y.man.which?.said pusnet £12-99 month and 12 month contact.new customer.i in bungalow in wheelchair disabled vat number 19999 7/12/2014 conwy county borough council.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@mr r i mackinlay-chalmers, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? Perhaps you can elaborate?