cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call charges to service numbers are changing

Plusnet Telephone numbers starting 08, 09 and 118 are called 'service numbers'. You might use them to make phone calls to organisations such as banks, travel services, government departments, or even to vote in TV shows. From 1 July 2015, the regulator Ofcom is changing the way these numbers are charged for. The changes are designed to make the cost of calls clearer, and they are being communicated through a campaign called UK Calling.

Service numbers

These are numbers for contacting organisations. They start with the prefix 084, 087 and also include 118 for directory enquiry and premium rate service numbers beginning 09. From 1 July 2015, the cost of calling any of these numbers will be split into two parts:

• The access charge: This is what we charge you, per minute, for connecting the call. We will be communicating our access charges to existing customers before 1 July 2015.
  • The service charge: This is the remainder of the call charge. The organisation you are calling decides the service charge, and must communicate it. For example, if the service charge was 20p per minute, the organisation you are calling might say "Calls cost 20p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge".

By adding together the access charge and the service charge, you'll know exactly what the call will cost you.

Freephone numbers

Numbers beginning 0800 and 0808 are already free to call from landlines, including your Plusnet phone, however from 1st July 2015 they will also be free to call from your mobile phone.

Find out more

All these changes apply across every landline and mobile phone – not just your Plusnet phone. Find out more at ukcalling.info

0 Thanks
2 Comments
2 Comments
G6JPG1
Not applicable
<> \\ Ideally, the service charge should not cut in until _after_ that announcement! However, I bet that won't be the case. I hope the assorted regulators are set up to stamp on orgaisations who drag out that announcement!
Jill_Widdecombe
Not applicable
Why, when your phone lines are so busy and I need to give you my new address, moving date etc, are not any facilities to do it via the internet?