cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSC - South Africa style

CSC - South Africa style

CSC - South Africa style

Hi, I'm Nick and I'm an Operations Manager in the Customer Support Centre. So here I am in Durban, South Africa, the largest city in the country and the busiest port on the continent. What leads me here? Well, some of you will be aware that last year our owners BT purchased another communication provider known as Brightview which ran several successful brands including 'Madasafish' (MAAF). The long and short is that this company was based in London but out-sourced its customer support to South Africa. Outsource: a word which makes many a consumer tremble.. But for no good reason in this case - this operation has won several industry awards for quality of service over the last 3 years, having set itself a clear goal to be the most customer-focused team around. Unlike many off-shore call centres, the guys here speak English as their first language and have a culture not entirely dissimilar to the British. In some ways this difference is actually advantageous - politeness and respect are two of the more important cultural values here! 🙂 Anyway back to the buy out by BT - this culminated in PlusNet being tasked to integrate the company and migrate all the existing customers onto our Workplace platform. This meant wholesale system and process changes for the call centre and a whole new UK business with which to interact. Over the last 6 months or so we have been sending various staff from Sheffield out to the Durban office to build relationships and assist with the transition - even though there is a multitude of modern technologies designed to enhance long distance communication, the value of face to face conversations should never be underestimated. Clearly not everyone can make the trip however - my job is to bridge the gap so to speak - helping the guys here learn who to contact in the UK, and how to drive things forward. So much time and effort can be saved if we use the right channels and go straight to the right people - the result in a support centre environment is a quicker and more accurate response for our customers. I've only been out here for a few weeks and am just finding my feet but I hope to keep you updated with news and information from South Africa on a more regular basis. Cheers for now. Nick.

0 Thanks
6 Comments
6 Comments
Not applicable
I had the good fortune to spend a few days with the CSC team in Durban last autumn and I was amazed by the knowledge and patience displayed by the friendly call centre staff. The awards are well-deserved, keep it up!
Bob_Milton
Grafter
I remember calling the people in S.A. when I was looking at Waitrose as a supplier. I can endorse the view that they are very polite people there. It also reminds me of another benefit, to call them when it was Waitrose the call was a free 0800 number. Is it to remain that way ?Huh
James_Baillie
Not applicable
An interesting insight into South African Call Centres and business culture. looks like a winning combination look forward to hearing more
Neil_A1
Not applicable
@BobMilton Hi Bob, yes Waitrose plan to keep their 0800 number for support calls. PlusNet customers can (sort of) get free calls to support if they use our 0114 number rather than the 0845 number, assuming local and national calls are included in your home phone provider's included call allowance.
carol
I am pleased to see our customers also recognising that our CSC people in Durban are a quality provider. Having worked with then for the last year, nearly! I can endorse the fact that thyey are customer focussed and we are pleased to be working with them providing quality of service to all of our Plusnet visps. Nick has made great progress in helping both centres to work closley together to ensure we are able to take theb best of breed, from both centres, share best practice and continue at both sites to be number 1 for Customer service. Go team Durban and see you in approx 1 week :) Carol
Not applicable
[...] our Operations Manager, has been keeping us all up to date with the news from Durban in his blogs (Nick’s first blog). The team in South Africa have won numerous awards for service over the years, which is why the [...]