cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An alternative to Wi-Fi in the home

I've finally removed Wi-Fi from my home.  Why? I run a number of devices which require access to the Internet but just need to be positioned far enough from my router to make an ethernet cable unviable. e.g. My SqueezeBox is in my Hi-Fi rack in the lounge, so I can stream from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) device or directly from the Internet. Wi-Fi seemed a good idea when I only had a few of these device, but of late, I seem to be acquiring more and more of them - to such a point that the constant outages on the network (for some reason whenever I put the microwave on in the kitchen it would kill the Squeezebox in that room and I would need to reboot) have become a nuisance and I found myself spending more time rebooting that actually enjoying the devices themselves. Moreover, trying to stream video over the Wi-Fi network was more hassle than it was worth. I've used Internet over Powerline devices previously - but now I have gone and plugged all of my devices into the Powerline network using Devlolo kit.  I'm now getting decent throughput through out the house and I just use have my Wi-Fi connection available for the odd chance that I need to fire up the laptop in the garden. Regards Dean

0 Thanks
3 Comments
3 Comments
Kelly
Hero
When I network up a 'less techie' friend/parent etc, I always now use these devices. It's just so much less hassle and less likely to break!
Liam
Grafter
These look interesting, though I've never had the chance to play. Do they work cross-phase?
millimole
Dabbler
I too have given up with WiFi - the only thing I miss (and was the biggest headache) is the abillity to use both my Palm T|X and my Dell Axim on the network. I use the Solwise kit - very, very reliable.