cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Trial Reaches The Next Stage

Plusnet ADSL2+ broadbandWe are currently running a trial for ADSL2+, the next generation of broadband in the UK that offers increased speeds on both upload and download. The trial has now been running for several months with a number of customers being invited via our Community forums. To take part you need to be in an area of the country where ADSL2+ is available. You can read more in the dedicated ADSL2+ trial forum. ADSL2+ is the next generation of broadband.. You can find out about the basics of ADSL2+ at our website. More technical information can be found at Wikipedia and how it is being deployed in this country. It uses a new BT network called 21CN. If you don't fancy wading through the Wikipedia articles there's also a blog we wrote late last year when we first started the trial. If you're interested, and we do hope you will be, you can reserve your place on the trial by raising us a ticket at http://trials.plus.net - you'll need to confirm that you have an ADSL2+ capable modem or router, we have a list of compatible hardware on our website. Alternatively you could check the literature or box that your hardware came in as this should state whether it is compatible with ADSL2+ or not. If you don't have one already, don't worry - we'll be able to supply one for £29.99 plus £6.99 postage, alternatively if you aren't already in any contract we'll be able to send you one for free if you're happy to stay with us for 12 months (you'll still need to pay for the postage though). If you need one of these please request it on the ticket you raise when applying for the trial. Before we go into detail about how to apply we must stress that this is a trial and as such there may be teething issues with the service. We'll be able to get any issues resolved for you in the same way as we would for regular ADSL services (i.e. by raising a fault to our supplier) and these processes have worked well thus far. As this is a trial however, there may still be 'bugs' in the systems. We'd also ask that you initially report any service affecting issues to our discussion forums. This will ensure a response from an agent trained in dealing with the 21CN platform. If you are interested after reading all that, you can reserve your place by raising us a ticket at http://trials.plus.net. If you're still not sure and would like some more information we have a couple more blogs from us at the start of the trial and an update on how things are going from September. There's also a blog from Neil Armstrong, about his trial line and how that's going. If you have any questions regarding the trial that you would like answered before making any decisions, please feel free to ask them in our forum. You can also check if your exchange has been enabled for 21CN on our exchange checker. At the time of writing 267 exchanges across the country have been enabled and we expect around 40% coverage by the end of March. Terms and conditions for the trial have been posted separately. Many thanks for reading, we hope to be supplying you with next generation broadband in the very near future. Dave Tomlinson Plusnet Product Team

0 Thanks
18 Comments
18 Comments
So far (in my experience) I have not found ADSL2+ to be greatly faster. However, a loss of sync (even several dozen losses!) does not cause a huge drop in your profile. Furthermore, recovery is much faster than on 8Mbit Max.
Not applicable
[...] yourself, you can now find out more. Read about how to take part and what you might expect in our ADSL2+ trial [...]
Be3G
Grafter
We’d also ask that you initially report any service affecting issues to our discussion forums. This will ensure a response from an agent trained in dealing with the 21CN platform.
Why is it then that I posted about something - not serious I admit, but still something that appeared to need looking at - three and a half weeks ago, yet have received no reply? I am, after all, only trying to help... thus far it seems my time researching and posting about the issue was completely wasted.
petejackson
Grafter
Sorry we missed that. I can see Dave's given you an update there. We do try not to miss anything if we can help it. As the trial goes wider I'm sure that forum will get busier, we'll look in more frequently and we won't miss new posts.
jmd1
Not applicable
Yes, I posted questions this week but it do not seem to have been responded to!
techguy1
Not applicable
Have just raised a ticket to opt in. Do hope my experience is better than that on O2.
Nick_Lawrence
Not applicable
Can madasafish customers take part in the trial?
orbrey1
Not applicable
@Nick Lawrence: Yep, MAAF customers are welcome to apply.
James1
Not applicable
@Jmd - I'm sorry I missed your post last week. I've since replied and hopefully your router should be with you very soon!
Matt_Martin
Not applicable
We have a few of our clients on the ADSL2+ service with sync rates of 21Mb and the top end of 24Mb. (Stones throw from the exchange - some people are just lucky ;)) Service is good and they are very pleased with the speeds, both up and down that they are getting.!
Daniel_Mckeag
Not applicable
I have adsl+2 with o2 homebroadband and it is 3 times faster then bt can offer me and it dosent drop out at all i think adsl+2 is the nest bext thing from cable
The broadband exchange checker doesnt seem to load for me, so I have no idea if I can particpate in this, however I feel it'll be unlikely considering my locations.
Not applicable
[...] to our customers. The nationwide rollout is currently ongoing, and we’ve been running a trial for customers in the areas that have already been [...]
rijone
Just checked the Exchange Status Checker, apparently Nottingham is due to be upgraded 31st March which was last update 9th March - does that mean its happened and if so when might all your customers start achieving these speeds?
Not applicable
[...] been a while since we update everyone regarding the status of our 21CN trial so thought now would be a timely juncture to post the latest [...]
viettel
Not applicable
In my opinion, the Adsl techonology has a great development overtime. Thanks for this usefull post, i've just make it a digg. Kind regards Jake Bunce, the manager of Viettel ISP.
voice_of_reason
Not applicable
Its great to have fast speed but what's the point if you have a cap on your internet usage people want to look at movie downloads also in hd this requires a more realistic view by internet providers to ensure that people get a more realistic allowance 60 gb is a joke and even so called unlimited such as bt send out a warning email if you use 80gb claiming that you are a 5% high user what utter rubbish as more like 60% of their customers are getting this email
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@voice of reason, I'd be *very* surprised if 60% of BT Retail's customer base use in excess of 80GB/mnnth! By comparison, our average usage per customer comes to around 9GB (and that's 24/7, not just during peak times). Whilst I appreciate your comments, bandwidth costs money. Offer more bandwidth, then we need to charge customers more.