cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your landline is being taken over - here's what you need to know??!!! NEWS TO ME

FIXED
scotsgirl1

Your landline is being taken over - here's what you need to know??!!! NEWS TO ME

WHY have I recieved this email from plusnet?  Dont know anything about someone else taking over my line, plus I'm not moving anywhere ...at least not to my knowledge...is this a scam? And are these phone numbers legit as they are different form the other phone numbers we have for PN?

Hello  MY NAME

Account username:  MINE

Phone number affected: MY LANDLINE NUMBER

Another service provider has told us that someone wants to take over the above line at MY ADDRESS on 13th June 2017. This usually means that you're moving to a new home, or someone is moving into your property.

Your Plusnet phone service will be affected by this order. If you have an alarm, medical alerting system, CCTV or any other services connected to your phone line you'll need to speak to the supplier as these will be stopped when your line is taken over.

If you're not moving or the above information is wrong

Please call us as soon as you can on 0800 073 3057 or 0330 123 0178.

We can stop the order if you contact us before 4pm on 11th June 2017.

If you're moving and you've already arranged to move your Plusnet service

You can ignore this email, thanks for choosing to stay with us.

If you're moving and not taking your Plusnet service with you

Sorry to hear that you're leaving us.

When your line is taken over, your account will be cancelled and you'll lose your phone service

You'll also lose any extra services we supply to you (e.g. your Plusnet email address, Plusnet Protect, BT Sport)

If you're within your minimum term, cancellation charges may apply - find out more about this in our Price guide

Please be aware that once your service is cancelled with Plusnet you'll no longer have access to your online customer account

Need to talk to us?

If you have any questions or if any of the information in this email is wrong, please contact our house move team. They're available on 0800 073 3057 or 0330 123 0178 between 8am-8pm Monday-Friday or 9am-7pm on Saturdays and 9am-6pm on Sundays.

Best wishes,

Sarah Hague - Head of Customer Operations

[removed]
Head of Customer Operations

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) staff name removed to private area as per Forum rules

10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Your landline is being taken over - here's what you need to know??!!! NEWS TO ME

It looks pretty legitimate to me.

Have you visited or spoken to any other Internet or Mobile provider recently?

scotsgirl1

Re: Your landline is being taken over - here's what you need to know??!!! NEWS TO ME

Thankyou Pettitto...nope I havent spoken to anyone else.

My contract ended 2 months ago so im paying the higher price right now.  Could it be because I havent renewed yet?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I believe its called "slamming" another provider has got your details, and is trying to claim your line. It is important to call the number, to get the transfer stopped. In the mean time, have a think about if you want to move/stay/get a better deal where you are!!

scotsgirl1

Thanks mustrum I've just had a look at what "slamming" is...lol didnt have a clue...cheecky [-Censored-]ers whoever they are.I cant believe other companies can get away with that.

I'll call PN in the morning.  Will still call the number I have on my invoices rather that the one in this email just in case.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of swear filter removed as per forum rule.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Welcome to the community forums @scotsgirl1 and thanks for your time on the phone today to discuss this along with your other thread.

As discussed, I've put a request through to cancel the takeover that BT had placed against your line. I'll also keep an eye on this and send you confirmation once this shows as being cancelled.

EDIT: Since making this post and starting to write up the ticket on your account, the takeover is now showing as cancelled Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
scotsgirl1

Thank you Harry for sorting this out. Appreciate your help

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

No problem @scotsgirl1, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@scotsgirl1 wrote:

...lol didnt have a clue...cheecky [-Censored-]ers whoever they are.I cant believe other companies can get away with that.

Due to the poor quality of BTOR data, there is some possibility that this was an accidental attempt to take over the line as has been experienced elsewhere.  See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/THIS-IS-URGENT-Broadband-and-phone-cancelled-by-som... - another supplier (BT Retail) in effect stole a line from one property and got it re-routed to next door ... all down to problems with BTOR's infrastructure data.  The consequences in this case have been quite substantial, none of it being of PlusNet's making.

Consider yourself lucky that you acted promptly on the migrate away notice.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scotsgirl1

thanks @Townman I dont think I've ever blamed PN, I simply asked why I received an email (no letter btw Wink) from PN telling me of my line being taken over. This was news to me!

However after reading the post you tagged me to, a few weeks ago the postie delivered a BT hub addressed to the manager of a business across the road (same Post Code) but had our address on it. Now next door to us is a visitor center owned by said manager of business named on new BT Hub.  Didnt think anything of it at the time. I think the problem with us iswhere we live most of the properties are on "crofts" and houses are named (as is ours) or houses are names after their croft name. The building next door has its own "name" but is listed under the same postal address as us. Bit confusing.

The only confusing part is all the properties listed under the same PC have their own working telephone lines/numbers already. ?Huh

So there obviously has been some confusion someplace, but it still makes my blood boil that companies can get away with this damage.  I'm just very pleased I was at home in time to see the email sent by PN and not away on holiday.

It  was PN themselves who told me that is was BT Retail who wanted to switch service.

I have made an complaint to OFCOM about my situation.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

I had not intended to suggest that YOU did blame PN. Many users though do when things go wrong due to poor BTOR data records.

Interesting that your situation has some similarities to the other case - property naming confusion.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.