Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Extension - Building works, Existing Phone Line advice needed

FIXED
very452001
Grafter

Side Extension - Building works, Existing Phone Line advice needed

Hi,

We getting side extension done to our house however the phone line is connected to the wall on where the extension building works will take place.

Also we have our sky digital satellite dish on same wall as well for freesat.

So what is the correct procedure to prevent disruption of services during and after the building works? Also is the customer liable for any fees associated with this?

Cheers,

9 REPLIES 9
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Side Extension - Building works, Existing Phone Line advice needed

Fix

Hi there,

I believe this is something that you can contact Openreach yourself about.

Using this link https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/altering-our-network/when-you-want-our-network-moved.aspx you should be able call them/fill out a form to request that the overhead line to your property is moved to allow for building work.

I'm unsure as to what they would charge for such work though, however they should be able to advise you.

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
very452001
Grafter

Do I have to inform Plusnet of this as I am renting their line from them (line rental)?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No, you'll continue to pay us line rental. You'll just have to request Openreach to relocate your line to allow for building work and possibly pay any required engineering charges to them. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
very452001
Grafter

Ok cheers,

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems, if there's ever anything else I can help with just let me know.

very452001
Grafter

Hi if we pay for this service then will the engineer charge extra charges on top for relocating the socket anywhere in our house honouring our choice of location or will the engineer do a lazy/easy approach of relocating the socket to an outside wall only?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm not entirely sure, honestly, if requesting the line to be moved also covers moving your master socket to a location of your choice. We can arrange a master socket relocation, for £160, but this won't necessarily mean the line will be moved.

I'd advise getting in touch with Openreach on the link above, to ask them what the work entails.

Let us know how you get on.

very452001
Grafter

Ok so theres 2 services I can choose from?:

- Plusnet for £160

- Openreach

When you said line to be moved do you mean like for example moving the line from the side of the house to the front of the house?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The £160 master socket relocation we can arrange is an internal shift order to move your master socket internally to a more convenient location.
Yes, if you need to move the line from the point of entry to your property, to allow for building work you'll need to arrange this with Openreach directly.
What I'm unsure about is if they'll move your master socket to a location of your choice, as part of this. It could be worth asking the question by calling the listed number.