Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Service - loud crackling and internet service interrupted

Lethe
Dabbler

Re: Phone Service - loud crackling and internet service interrupted

Seems I have a few choices then

Leave it like this - push the tv unit back and enjoy the improved internet and working phone

Pay for a BT Engineer to come out and fix the faceplate

Fit a replacement faceplate myself as I am responsible for it 

Hop over to the 50mb offering virgin keep waving at me.  This isn't me playing ISP chicken btw - because UGH Virgin customer service is bobbins so is not close to my preferred choice.

How much is a BT visit please?  That will help me decide.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Lethe wrote:

Pay for a BT Engineer to come out and fix the faceplate

Fit a replacement faceplate myself as I am responsible for it 

How much is a BT visit please?  That will help me decide.

If a fault engineer visit becomes chargeable, we pass on £65 of the charge.

Although I've never actually done it myself, I've heard that replacing the faceplate is quite simple and I believe you can buy the faceplates fairly cheap.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

<chews some tobacco and spits in the direction of a spittoon, but misses>

HarryB wrote: (snipped)

Although I've never actually done it myself, I've heard that replacing the faceplate is quite simple and I believe you can buy the faceplates fairly cheap.

However, as the OP has noticed, the box (the back box?) is also a little worse for wear.

A new lower faceplate would neaten the front up, but the box would still be broken. The box could allow a liquid to enter (examples - via a mop, carpet cleaner or a handheld steamer) and unknowingly promote corrosion.

I also don't know if the lower faceplate section can be purchased on it's own.

Now I'm not saying the OP would like a new back box too (around £1), but may decide to purchase a complete faceplate (£5 - £15) as that's how they, to my knowledge, normally arrive. They may then decide to replace to complete faceplate assembly as this new shiny faceplate is soooo tempting...? - (thus saving £65 and as long as they put the wires on the A and B terminals in to the same terminals on the new faceplate)

Because we're not supposed to Shocked as the demarcation point is the responsibility of OpenreachPolice , the OP may not know this, they may decide to change the backbox (old separately) and the complete faceplate assembly themselves.

Now I'm not saying they should or should not do anything, but thought I'd remind those on this thread that the 'box' is also probably broken too, plus the swapping of a faceplate is very easy to do even though we shouldn't be touching it.

If they were to only change the broken lower section with a new one, or glue (hot glue guns are good for this sort of thing) the broken one back together, then ignore most of the above.... but I thought it should be mentioned Wink

Pran

Hope its all addressed lol
Lethe
Dabbler

Somewhat usefully my mother is an actual qualified data/network engineer.  It's been a while since she wielded her punch down tool since she's stuck in management these days, but her eyes lit up when I relayed the situation and some of the non-suggestions in this thread. 

I feel she will definitely do none of them.