cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance call 'Technical Deprt. of Windows Operating System', am I the only one

CraigBruce
Dabbler

Nuisance call 'Technical Deprt. of Windows Operating System', am I the only one

Had my second call from a heavily Indian accented 'International' number today. They start by saying that they are from the Technical Dept of Windows Operating System, though when I asked if they meant Microsoft he dodged the question.
The caller then goes on to state that your PC is generating errors every time you browse the web. I asked for specifc examples of the errors and he was suggesting logging onto my PC to show me. I then asked which version of windows was generating the errors as I have a number of PCs..again dodged the question by stating that their errors didn't show that. I then asked if he could tell me which IP address was generating the errors and he proceeded to list a 192.168.<non zero> IP address. When I stated that the IP address wasn't one of mine he asked me how I could tell  then hung up when he realised he wasn't going to be able to scam me.
I am sure there are some poor unfortunates who are being exploited by these guys. I am on the TPS yet still got the call and unfortunately have no idea which company it actually was and no number from caller id.
If enough other Plusnet homephone customers have the same calls, perhaps something can be done to track these jokers down ?
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Nuisance call 'Technical Deprt. of Windows Operating System', am I the only one

It's just not a nuisance call it's a scam to get money out of you
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Nuisance call 'Technical Deprt. of Windows Operating System', am I the only one

We have had them a couple of times and we're not with PN.
They'll often try and get you to install remote access tools, do not a lot and charge you for it.
As Oldjim said, one big scam.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Oh and TPS wont stop International caller's calling.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
CraigBruce
Dabbler

And they called again this morning. Now they are claiming to be Microsys Solutions, with a website at: http://greenpchub.com
Again, as soon as I asked which IP address was generating the errors and stated that it couldn't be mine they hung up..... scammers scammers scammers
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You need to get yourself a whistle, That will show them Angry
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I had an Indian lady on the phone yesterday (From a WITHHELD number) wonder if it was them? I couldn't understand her so just hung up  Angry
If they had said my M$ OS was up the spout I know what I would have told them  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you want to be, go forth and multiply Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had an odd ball call today, I wasnt in so it was on my missed call list,  the number recorded was 01236 809 800
All systems I have tried do not recognise that exchange
prichardson
Grafter

http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/search.php?GNG=01236809800&Submit=Submit&d=nl
This is a potentially valid number. Gamma Telecoms provide SIP services, a technology that is allowing scammers to thrive in this type of area.
That said, the outfit are more engaged in the business sector and unlikely to attract such business.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If found one complaint about that number Pierre-Pierre...http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01236809800
CraigBruce
Dabbler

A year on and I must have fielded at least 15 of these calls now. The latest being this afternoon. As before the International number isnt stopped by TPS and as I get valid business related International withheld numbers I have no way to screen without picking up.
When are Plusnet launching the 'Send 15kV with a goodly amperage down the line' or the alternative 'Press one to cause short term hearing loss' features ?  Can I get these once I am on FTTC, these scammers are really starting to annoy me and I've had enough opportunities to amuse myself teasing them.
Almost as frustrating as the other International call I get almost once a month asking if I received my free local paper this week....then asking to confirm that my name is some name I can never make out, nor pronounce....followed by me refusing to give them my name.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
If found one complaint about that number Pierre-Pierre...http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01236809800

you got me wondering, the I looked at the dates, wow, 11 months between posts.
any way, I have cavity wall insulation, good double glazing, insulated loft and Solar water heating., I keep
17tting calls from a UK local based idiot trying to get me a council grant, which dur to me not being on any form of credit I cant get
He caught the Wife a couple of days ago - number with held as usual, she yabbered to him for a bit when I walked into the room, took the phone of her and gave him a few expletive and put the phone down, the idiot called back 15 secs later and recieved another bucket ful.  put down the phone again and IT called back four more times in the next two minutes, didnt pick it up that time
19th Aug calls
17:39
17;38
17:37
17:37
17:36
17:35
Ellis
Grafter

According to BT, that is Coatbridge.