cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display displaying incorrectly

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Caller display displaying incorrectly

It seems that this display issue is not limited to landlines as my mother rang my mobile this morning but her name never came up even though the number looked familiar. It actually started with 001227xxxxxx. Normally I wouldn't answer what I think is an international call unless the country code is Ukraine but in this instance I did - probably because I seemed to recognise the number after the initial '0'.
I will add that my mother rang from her landline.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Glad it isn't just me...
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Out of interest I read this thread, and also the BT thread linked to in Reply #8, because we have a different but possibly similar problem.
Our line is, and always has been, with BT, and since BT started forwarding the International CID I've noticed some of the International numbers we receive calls from are displayed incorrectly some of the time (I haven't noticed any problems with UK landline or mobile numbers).
We commonly receive calls from 2 Australian landline numbers, and what happens in this case can be two slightly different things depending on which of the two numbers is calling.
If the number is not displayed correctly, (i.e. both should be 00613xxxxxxxx ); then
1)  the first number displays as 0613xxxxxxxx (1 leading zero missed off);
2)  but the second number displays as xxxxxxxx (both leading zeros, the country code and the city/area code missed off).
It's not a problem receiving the calls as the handset displays the correct name, but trying to call the number back obviously results in a failed call.
I haven't tried the 1471 test, but I'll try and remember to do that next time it occurs.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I have taken to using 1471 now for all incoming calls, because my handset will display correctly all incoming numbers in my phone address book. If I ring 1471 however, the voice always gives me 00 as the number called from.
I do wonder what the problem is though as there was never any follow up from the op in the BT forum, so we will never know (unless when/ if the fault is found, there is also an explanation).
Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread does make me wonder if I am losing legitimate calls because of this extra zero.
We used to receive dozens of cold/sales calls every day and night, mostly from anonymous or international numbers, so for our own sanity we installed a call blocking device which does a very good job of eliminating virtually all these unwanted interruptions.
If this thread is suggesting that there is a bug in BT's caller-ID system which changes valid UK phone numbers to apparently international number format,  then our call blocking device could potentially be stopping wanted calls being answered.
Crazy
steveuk
Grafter

We have had calls from similar looking numbers to whats been posted and i have even seen a few that are so screwed up its not funny.
We had this one call and the number came up as 01234567890
picbits
Rising Star

Spoofing CLID numbers is pretty simple to do - a lot of VOIP providers used to let you choose your own CLID number.
I've often had calls from numbers which aren't valid.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the most confusing, is when the phone is ringing and the caller ID shows your own number, so your natural reaction is to answer it  Shocked
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

My fault ticket is closed and I can't find it anyway!!!
Still receiving extra 0's on some incoming calls. Two yesterday, one 00845 and one 00754 and a 00034 incoming from Spain on 23rd.
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Managed to find the tickets. Not made easy now is it?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Have you seen this thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137952.msg1214360.html#msg1214360
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I hadn't Peter, no, thanks for the link. I have now though and made my comments known!!
Mark
KatC
Grafter

@ Marksfish
Sorry to hear your still having issues. I can see a ticket has now been re-raised on your account. The team will investigate this for you and keep you updated.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

No action on my ticket in the 3 days since opening it. #101685418.
Seriously not impressed.
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I see my ticket has now been answered, anything to do with the nudge here?
Basically it says the fault has been re- referred to BT and will take 72 hours for a resonse. Is that from now, or did someone actually look at the ticket before and not update it? For a communications company, the communications do suck occasionally  Undecided . All it takes is an update every now and again to keep the natives (relatively) happy, even if nothing is happening!!!
Mark