cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Outgoing Numbers

bstephens
Hooked

Blocking Outgoing Numbers

I manage my elderly mother's Plusnet account. Unfortunately she's running up huge call costs calling high-rate directory enquiries. Nearly £100 in the past week (£40 today alone and she didn't even get the number she wanted). The number of a cheap service is written on her handset but she keeps calling the familiar high cost ones. I've suggested she asks me to find numbers but she forgets.

It would be a great advantage to be able to block these extortionate numbers via Plusnet. Failing this, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Please note that she's tried all kinds of phones but can only get on with the simplest type - even a built in contact list is too much for her.

Thanks for reading.

9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Blocking Outgoing Numbers

You could ask for the credit limit on the account to be drastically reduced until problem resolved.
I'm unsure when PN take (credit) action as a/c is up to limit whether it stops incoming calls too?

There is a free Dir Enquiries service, but you have to listen to an ad first; today it's TalkTalk advertising their Broadband!
Number is 0800 118 3733. Would that be a solution?Huh
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm speculating that at her age she's mostly phoning a limited number of people on a regular basis - would she be able to use 'one touch' dialling for those rather than a contact list if you wrote them them all down and programmed the buttons for her?

RJM
Rising Star

BT have a service if you are willing to switch to them:

http://www.btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/ServicesfromBT/Outgoingcallcontrol/

bstephens
Hooked

Thanks for the responses. Hope it's OK to bundle replies (can't see a quote function).

@Gel

Thanks for the free number, I'll stick it on her handset.

A low credit limit would raise the risk of her service being put on hold, which could be disastrous in her circumstances. In the past, the email warning that the limit was close gave me time to bump it up and give her a refresher talk on which number to use. This time, as she ran up over £40 in a few hours, there was no warning.

@JayG

Yes, it's often numbers that she has temporarily forgotten or in a mislaid address book. We've tried various phones with one-touch functions but she can't cope with it. One had four large buttons that had the name of the person written on, but she'd still ring me asking for their numbers and then call enquiries if I wasn't around.

I'm going to make a note of her numbers, fasten her a large laminated sheet next to the phone, and distribute a copy to close relatives.

@RJM

Much as I loathe BT, I'll certainly give some thought to switching. That page also mentions the BT 8600 phone that can presumably be used to block outgoing numbers with PN. Problem with this is that it's a cordless handset and these have not worked out for various reasons: being dropped out of reach, forgetting to charge, non-rechargeable batteries being used in the handset (with predictable results).

Searching the forum shows that PN have, in the past, blocked premium rate numbers by request.

A simple old fashioned recumbent large button phone with blocking of outgoing premium rate function would be ideal, but so far I've not found one.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Mav
Fixes: 515

Only quoting the full previous post is not allowed unless starting a new page.

To quote click on the Reply button of the post you wish to quote from then click on the Quote button just above the text input box.

Another way is to copy/past from the post you wish to quote from then highlight that text and click on the double quotes button to the left of the Quote button.

Hope that helps.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gel wrote:
Quoting posts isn't permitted Smiley

Huh

@bstephens How about programming all the one touch buttons to the same directory enquiries you want her to use?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bstephens
Hooked

@jelv wrote:

@bstephens How about programming all the one touch buttons to the same directory enquiries you want her to use?

Nice suggestion, but we found one-touch buttons led to constant accidental calls so would prefer to avoid if possible.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @bstephens,

Unfortunately we don't offer outbound call barring, however I do hope one of the other suggestions put forward by the community help out with your situation.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet