Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Call Protect

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Call Protect

Every little helps, although my BT 8500 call blocker is already working a treat - and has done for some time.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I've ordered Plusnet Protect; but I'm not clear whether, if a call goes to junk voicemail, there will be an interrupted dialling tone similar to that for a 1571 voicemail. If so, I assume the tone is different, otherwise it's difficult to know whether to dial 1571 or 1572!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's a good question and I don't know the answer. I'll try and find out!

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
orrery
Grafter

Get one of these... https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/the-new-bt8600/

Well, I did and I have to say that they are a poor match for my old Philips set.

The range is poor - the old Philips were just getting flakey down the bottom of my garden, but the new BT set are flakey half way down.

The outgoing 'challenge' message is poor quality and, as far as I can find, can't be overwritten. More than one caller couldn't make out the message at all.

In view of the new PlusNet feature, I'd recommend against them.

orrery
Grafter

I've had the service added today, but managing lists of numbers is tricky using voice prompts - Is there a web-based control page as BT have?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@NorthPole wrote:

I've ordered Plusnet Protect; but I'm not clear whether, if a call goes to junk voicemail, there will be an interrupted dialling tone similar to that for a 1571 voicemail. If so, I assume the tone is different, otherwise it's difficult to know whether to dial 1571 or 1572!

It does *not* create an intermittent dial tone.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bud
Grafter

Just tried to add this to my line but the portal won't allow it as it claims there is already an order in progress 😞

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

As the  instigator of this thread back in January I am of course delighted that Call Protect has been set up.  Unfortunately I cannot use it as I need to have access to some witheld numbers ie the hospital being the main one where calls can come from direct lines the numbers of which are not immediately available to me. I wonder if all witheld numbers could initially be allowed through, answered, and then put on a black or white list. I know of many people in this situation (an age related problem I guess)Fortunately since my initial post all nuisance calls have stopped, long may the stuation stay like that. If they return one of the "magic " phones may be the answer.  

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@theoldandgrey I have just been through the 1572 menu and you can enable or disable withheld number diversion as you require.

orrery
Grafter

@PhyllisTyne wrote:

@theoldandgrey I have just been through the 1572 menu and you can enable or disable withheld number diversion as you require.

I am slightly confused by this. There are two levels of CLI, one that is passed to the called number and another one that is visible to the comms operator which, as I understand it, can't be withheld.

So, even withheld numbers (where the comms operator can see the originating number) should be subject to the master filtering at the heart if the system even without manually blocking withheld numbers.

So, it should be possible to dial 1572 and block the withheld cold-caller thereby updating the central database and still allow through the local hospital (or indeed PlusNet who, rather shamefully, withhold their number).

jordanc1230
Rising Star

Witheld numbers are allowed through by default. The default setting from what it said on the 1572 voice menu is for calls to be dealt with using plusnet's maintained list of nusiance numbers as long as the number is not on that list it will get through and that means witheld numbers also get through as I tested this on my line yesterday using my witheld mobile.

jordanc1230
Rising Star

Looking at the "How to get the most out of your call features" page it seems the service can only be managed through the 1572 menu with no option at the moment of managing it online. One thing I have noticed is the plusnet version includes the Do Not Disturb & VIP list as standard for free which is something you would need to pay £1.75 a month extra for on BT.

orrery
Grafter

@jordanc1230 wrote:

... as long as the number is not on that list it will get through and that means witheld numbers also get through as I tested this on my line yesterday using my witheld mobile.

The point I was making in the previous post is that withheld to you isn't necessarily withheld to the system, so when checking against the block list withheld needn't mean unknown. Of course, how BT have implemented it ...