Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Basic

FIXED
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: BT Basic

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm left to wondering if it's now time to have a separate VoIP forum, or would that be like having a fifth columnist inside the community.Wink

A suggestion worth considering?

I would have thought the 'Tech Help - Software/Hardware etc' forum would cover such issues?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Thought I'd go for the Cisco SPA 122 as sold by the hosting company but have seen it for sale at half their price. Reviews seem pretty good and the set up fairly straightforward so once the porting is confirmed I'll order one.

Appreciate the offer of help, might have to take you up on that. I did read that about an ISPN number being entered during setup - would that be the ISPN number for my computer or the ATA itself?

$(KGrHqZHJEsFBkf5hFSVBQlnQRmBHg--_35.jpg

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@Mav

Perhaps, but as discussions about VoIP seem to scattered I thought I'd post it here as it had be mentioned?

Happy for you to relocate if you feel that would be more appropriate. Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm left to wondering if it's now time to have a separate VoIP forum, or would that be like having a fifth columnist inside the community.Wink

A suggestion worth considering?

@Minivanman

As @MisterW says, there used to be a VoIP forum which you can still access in the Archive section (bottom of forum list).  You can still read the old posts although all the threads are locked and you can't start a new topic.  You might find some threads of interest to you in there though.

You may not know it, but PN used to run a VoIP service (eventually out-sourced to a third party).  I used to find it very 'useful' as the 'free' included minutes were quite generous; calls were timed to the second and not rounded up to the next minute, which meant that those annoying short calls where an answering service kicks for which you might get charged an extortionate amount by a landline service just didn't happen.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Thought I'd go for the Cisco SPA 122 as sold by the hosting company but have seen it for sale at half their price. Reviews seem pretty good and the set up fairly straightforward so once the porting is confirmed I'll order one.

Congratulations on finally making the jump to VoIP, and hopefully you won't have any problems setting up your chosen kit. Smiley

Even though they were supposedly good devices, I was never attracted by what I believe were that items predecessors as the set-up always looked a bit long-winded to me, especially some of the more advanced features.  That doesn't mean to say that there were not many happy users.

e.g. Dialling plans were apparently quite comprehensive but I was never inclined to get my head round the formatting required.

Hopefully things are more straightforward with that model.  Wink

Edit: Typo

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Appreciate the offer of help, might have to take you up on that. I did read that about an ISPN number being entered during setup - would that be the ISPN number for my computer or the ATA itself?

I've not had hands-on experience with the SPA 122 but a quick look at the manual seems to show it's pretty comprehensive. It does have router functionality as well which you will probably want to disable if you're using your existing router. I think the SPA 112 is basically the same but without the router functions. There was some Cisco ATA's (sold on ebay usually) that were 'locked' to certain voip providers although I'm pretty sure they were the older SPA 2102 & PAP2 devices.

NB the Cisco stuff is basically US  orientated so not sure if you'll need an RJ11 to BT adaptor with ringing capacitor  (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Solwise-RJP-BTS-RJ11-Adapter/B000Q4X9PS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph... )  or whether they're included with UK supply ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@MisterW

"Cisco stuff is basically US  orientated so not sure if you'll need an RJ11 to BT adaptor with ringing capacitor...."

Hmm, not sure about that so am checking with the supplier on both that and as to whether is is locked to any other VoIP provider before I order as it's a refurbished item.

Thanks for the heads up.

SPA122 Cisco

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Minivanman from looking at your ebay link , I'd also query whether it's an SPA122 or an SPA112.

The description says 'SPA122 ATA with Router' whereas the Item Specifics and Prouct Identifiers both say SPA112.

As I said eaarlier, the SPA112 should be fine as you would probably not want to use the router functionality of the SPA 122 anway.

I suspect the SPA112 is cheaper though, so that might affect your decison on how good value the refurb item is ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

AIUI, most modern phones will handle a 2-wire connection and will ring without an external ringing capacitor.

As to needing a US-BT adaptor, a standard RJ11 to RJ11 cable will most likely be sufficient.

Minivanman
Legend

@Gandalf

My number has now been ported over effective from next Monday the 17th July Gandalf, so can I give notice here of whatever phone contract had with you from that date, or do I need to cancel through another route?

FTTP still working a treat, but then why wouldn't it. Thumbs_Up

Cheers.

Herman Melville
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'll be happy to give you a call once the port has completed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

... give you a call once the port has completed.

@Gandalf As long as that's not via the phone number under discussion because AFAIK @Minivanman hasn't acquired his VoIP equipment yet ... Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the heads up

That could've been awkward... Roll_eyes

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend

@Gandalf

Thanks for that, fingers crossed that all will go well - although still not a happy bunny about that £2.50 addition to my FTTP bill for cancelling the phone line. It just seems so wrong - do you think plusnet will reconsider, as I doubt very much I am the only one to be unhappy about it.

How much are wooden spoons these day? Wink 

PS. Just to clarify Gandalf as I'm half suspecting I may have got hold of the wrong end of the wooden spoon. My broadband charge was X amount, my new fibre charge is going to be Y amount extra. So is the extra that £2.50, or is it £2.50 on top off that new fibre charge for cancelling my phone?

Hope that's not as clear as mud.

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

"As long as that's not via the phone number under discussion because AFAIK @minivanman hasn't acquired his VoIP equipment yet .."

Ordered this afternoon as it happens Rob, should be with me in a day or so Thumbs_Up 

Herman Melville