Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi sporadically connects. says incorrect password

Greggorio
Hooked

wifi sporadically connects. says incorrect password

Where to start..

I've phoned plusnet 3 times about this issue now. My phone does not always connect to the Wifi when I'm within range of it (2m away). The internet works on my desktop but that isn't wifi. I will walk in from outside and my phone will not connect to the wifi. it says connecting and "incorrect password" and then starts trying again. it can see the router and it has full signal. If I forget the network and reconnect it will connected straight away. if i turn the router off and on it will find it again straight away

Things they suggested that I have done - 

1. do a factory reset of the router (held button for ages on the back until it reset)
2. split 2.4 and 5ghz channels

3. changed the channels so its not automatic

I then spent 30 mins on hold and 30 mins talking to a technical adviser who told me I should get a wifi extender, she told me this 3 times during the conversation and every time I explained to her that the range is not an issue. When I told her that restarting the router tends to allow my phone to connect or if i forget the network and reconnect again it works then she said I should perhaps try that again. 
I have only been with plusnet two weeks and this is horrendous. I could just buy an off the shelf router but I'm paying for you guys to provide one so I'm not hugely happy about having to do that

17 REPLIES 17
Greggorio
Hooked

Re: wifi sporadically connects. says incorrect password

4th call done, said because my house was made of stone it may be bouncing the signal around... even though my phone detects the wifi but says incorrect password. I'm not being funny but do they get training? 

This is utterly ridiculous and then it got to 8pm when the call centre closes and the phone cut off. Customer service at its finest, thanks for that plusnet

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Are you using a Hub One? If so, what version of firmware are you running? You can determine this by looking in the footer of your router admin pages at http://192.168.1.254
Have you always had the problem, or has it only started recently?
Also be good to know what model phone and software version you're running?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Greggorio
Hooked

Huawei GRA-L09 running Android 6.0

Greggorio
Hooked

Sorry couldn't find a pen but have now. 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Did a factory reset on my phone last night and router. Worked for 12 hrs without issue. Started again 20 mins ago. On hold to technical support again.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I'd forget 'Technical Support' and wait until @bobpullen is next available. He's the router guru.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Greggorio, I can see from yesterday's call there's a new router on the way so please let us know how you get on with that. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Greggorio
Hooked

Yeah 4th tech support lucky... You really need to employ people who understand how routers work. Soon as it arrives I'll have a play and see. It's so damn sporadic. Been working fine today. Probably jinxing myself now as it does occasionally work fine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Greggorio, when did the problem start? Your firmware was updated back on the 9th February and I'm keen to establish if this coincides with your problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Greggorio
Hooked

It only got connected on the 8th so... I couldn't tell you if it made a difference. Sorry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, fair enough.

I notice the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios are currently merged. When you tried splitting them did you experience the same problem with both SSIDs/radios or just one of them. If the latter - which one?

@Greggorio wrote:

I will walk in from outside and my phone will not connect to the wifi. it says connecting and "incorrect password" and then starts trying again. it can see the router and it has full signal. If I forget the network and reconnect it will connected straight away. if i turn the router off and on it will find it again straight away

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Greggorio
Hooked

Yeah that's because when it does it I do a full reset. Errrrr it definitely still did it on 2.4 as I recall it doing it when I'd switched 5 off.

It hasn't done it today so far, so hard to test anything. Wish it was consistent to be honest. Makes tracking down issues easier. This is also the longest it's gone without doing it and I've not changed or moved anything
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Greggorio 

Hows everything looked since you lats posted? Still ok or are you seeing issues again? 

- MoR 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Greggorio curious to hear whether or not you're still experiencing this problem?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TheWM

Dear all. I have exactly the same issue described above. This has happened since I joined plusnet in August. I did have a week with no problems. Call centre are useless and have advised that as I have WiFi to the house the problem is my devices. All 15 odd.

I’m sure it’s a router issue. I have 5 Google speakers which randomly drop connection. A reset of the router normally sorts this.

But surely doing this 3 times a day isn’t either normal or acceptable? Furthermore I can’t actually call during the day so feel alone and frustrated with this issue. I’ve even considered paying to get out of my contract, which I have another 9 months off Sad