Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow wifi on phones

Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter
Fixes: 1

slow wifi on phones

hello.

not sure if this is in the right section. since we have joined plusnet weve noticed a different wifi experience on our smart phones. As in: web pages taking ages to load up or sometimes not loading up at all. whatsapp messages not sending or receiving.

i did a test. turned wifi off on our phones and just used tesco data and presto everything works as it should and fast.

so thats leads me to think its the wifi thats the problem not the phones. has anyone else experienced this and got a fix?

kind regards

kris

18 REPLIES 18
Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

Re: slow wifi on phones

also may i just add.....

the other day while i was at work my wife said she couldnt use wifi on her phone as it was disconnected and the router name not showing up as a wifi network on the list of networks.(only neighbors networks showing up) so she had to use mobile data.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Depending on which service you are on:

If it's fibre and you have a Hub One router then try separating the bands and try each in turn, select the best. For instructions see here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

If you are on standard ADSL broadband and have a Hub Zero then I'm afraid you have a router with poor wifi performance. The only thing to do is change it for something better. Do you happen to have a BT router spare? These can be easily set up to operate with your Plusnet account. You will find instructions on this router forum board. Many of us have bought a BT Smarthub off Ebay for about £30 and enjoy very good wifi performance

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

yes im on fibre so have the new hub.

ive followed the link you attached. and added (5ghz) to the SSID name

ive connected laptop to 2.4ghz and ran speed test results:

24mbs download 

then connected with 5ghz and ran speedtest:

29mbs download

either way im not getting the download speed i should be getting think i should get 39mb min of 35mb

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Unfortunately there's no 'should be getting' wireless speed. What are you getting if you turn off the laptop wireless and use an Ethernet cable to connect to the router? If that's not up to your quoted speed then the problem lies elsewhere and we need to start again.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

I'll plug laptop in directly later and do some tests
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What mobile phones are you using?  iPhones?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

Samsung galaxy A5 and Sony Xperia xa1
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ok.  It's worth checking what the lights on the router are doing when you can't see it on the network or if you've been disconnected, or it's really slow.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

I have noticed at night when I've been sat watching TV (not particularly using the internet) the blue light will turn orange and the orange broadband light will come on. It turns back to blue on its own and that's that. However I have noticed it quite a few times at a similar time of night. Whether it's doing that during the day I don't know I will have to monitor it.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Kris,

Thanks for getting in touch and for troubleshooting your connection thus far.

I've taken a look at your account and can see that you're currently syncing up at around 38mb/s which although within your estimates is quite low compared to the capability of your line.

Could you get your router into the test socket as shown here and if that doesn't increase the speed, raise a fault here.

Let us know once that's done and we'll do the rest.

Best wishes,

Dave

Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

Hi.
Can I just ask. Is the test to be wired to laptop or WiFi. Also what site would you prefer me to do speed test on?

Cheers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya Kris. I wouldn't worry about running a speedtest as we can see your speeds are lower than expected.

Once you've plugged your router into the test socket let us know over here and we can retest your line.

That said it may be worth running a speedtest both wired and wireless to compare? I'd recommend a BT speed test using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, if you don't have those web browsers then the Think Broadband one would be OK.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

hi

I am now plugged directly into test socket also I am hardwired (ethernet) into laptop

I have run BT Wholesale speedtest in microsoft edge browser on the laptop and have got 38mb download 3mb upload

ran the same BT Wholesale test but via 5ghz WiFi sat next to router and got 36mb

on 2.4ghz i got 24mb!!! sat in same place right next to router also did 4 repeated tests and they all was 23-25mb

on other speedtest sites i get lower results

im going to leave it all plugged into test socket if you should need to do any tests

Kris_the_Joiner
Grafter

update. 

swapped back to 5ghz and that has come back at 25mb too.

some fluctuations happening