Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting aside an IP range from the DHCP

bony49

setting aside an IP range from the DHCP

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a network conflict on a restaurant till system

the company who run the till system have asked for a range of 20 ip addresses to be set aside for them to use separate of the DHCP (hub one router)

can anyone help with how to this? I can see where to assign a certain computer to always use an exact address but not where to set aside a range separate from the DHCP

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: setting aside an IP range from the DHCP

Assuming that they will configure fixed addresses into the devices. the easiest thing to do is set the DHCP range to exclude some addresses at one end or the other, and then tell them to use 20 addresses in the excluded set. The rest of the devices will still be able to see the 20 addresses, but the router won't assign them to any other device

I think (I don't have one) the default DHCP range on the Hub 1 is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. If they use (say) 192.168.1.41 - 192.168.1.60, the DHCP system will not assign those addresses so they should be safe.

bony49

Re: setting aside an IP range from the DHCP

Hi Wisty,

thanks, think will fix the issue

the problem is with a network receipt printer that has the address 192.168.1.164 so that would make sense (problem only happens when busy and I assume the upper range would be more likely to be used

we also have a couple of wireless access points attached to the network I assume they would still use the same range the plusnet hub as they are just access points?