cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router setup using chromebook

1jim

router setup using chromebook

Hi All

looking to move my fibrebroadband account to PlusNet from vodafone. I see that I will get a new router so wanted to see if I will need to do any configuration work on it (or is it just plug and go)? I have a chromebook so it doesnt have an ethernet connection so I cant log in using a cable so would need to log in over the network. thanks

13 REPLIES 13
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: router setup using chromebook

Hi @1jim and welcome to the forums Wink

The router auto configures once your account goes live.

As you're thinking of fibre, it'll be a Plusnet Hub One (same as a BT Home Hub 5), the only difference is the colour - PNH1 is white and BTHH5 is black.

If you do join 'us', then before your connection goes live, it will have a default username of setup@plusdsl.net

Once it's live, providing all goes to plan, it'll revert to your username (set up, during sign up) @plusdsl.net

There are some known issues with the wifi on these hubs atm, though PN are busy sorting this out.

If you join and also have issues, pop back on here and someone will try and help you out!! Wink

1jim

Thanks, that's really helpful

When you say issues with the router? Do you know what issues in particular?
We currently have a smart thermostat (Tado), a Philips hue bridge, and a Sonos bridge using wired ports. Would want those to work fine.
Additionally, using WiFi we have lg smart TV, Chromebooks, Xbox, phones, Kindle fire stick, Kindle paperwhites and Kindle fires connected wirelessly
DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, well .....

These routers come with 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi capabilities.

Some users have been reporting issues with the 5GHz dropping their devices (RPi, Amazon Tabs, plus other devices I can't recall, but there does appear to be a varied selection).

'Fixes' include splitting the WiFi, renaming the WiFi, Firmware updates etc etc.

Some users report that the firmware update (PN have stated that routers will be updated by the end of the 2nd week of this month) has fixed theirs whereas a few are still reporting theirs have dropped since the update.

I've personally stopped any devices from using the 5GHz and at this present time none of my devices (obviously on 2.4GHZ) suffer from dropouts.

I also, based on my own testing, believe that the hub is caching the devices, which floods the gubbins, causing it to drop the devices - another reason for thinking this is because some users simply tun their router off and back on and their devices then 'magically' reconnect.

2.4GHz is a tad slower, but reaches a further distance whereas 5GHz is faster (we're talking about how fast it goes to the router from the device, not how fast it is to the www) but doesn't reach as far.

So, you could join PN, see how it goes, turn off 5GHz if you're having issues, see how it goes, or any combo of the above and see how it goes.

Not trying to put you off, just giving my honest opinion Wink

edit to add - from memory no devices have issues when connecting via ethernet Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@1jim 

As a new fibre customer you should be sent a Hub One with the latest firmware, which has resolved this wireless problem. Having said that this isn’t a brilliant device and if you are unlucky you might get one that’s noisy when using the 5GHz channel.

What many of us have done is buy a BT Smarthub 6 off EBay for around £20 and use that instead. It has to be set up for Plusnet but this can be done over a wireless link  Try the Hub One to start off and if you want better wireless or find it noisy then come back here for more advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

1jim

thanks, appreciate the honesty. 

seems sensible to give it a go and worst case buy another router.

last question for now (I think)- are these ok to use with a vpn? I occasionally work from home and use a vpn to connect into the network

cheers

DS
Seasoned Champion

As a new fibre customer you should be sent a Hub One with the latest firmware

From personal experience, this wasn't the case

13:49:43, 06 Dec. ( 27.590000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
13:49:28, 06 Dec. ( 13.090000) System start

One day later and

01:31:28, 07 Dec. ( 32.260000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2
01:31:14, 07 Dec. ( 18.550000) System start TR069

The last one I had was

16:08:52, 21 Aug. ( 35.860000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

I could well be wrong on this too, but it's 'first in, last out' then they could still be shipping ones out with older firmware, that may or may not update a day or so later...?

Using another 'brand' of router is certainly an option as Baldrick1 suggests

I can't comment on how well they work with VPN's Sad though if you start saying it's for work, then somebody might point out you need a business account!! But I'd wouldn't know what you're using it for Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@DS wrote:

As a new fibre customer you should be sent a Hub One with the latest firmware

From personal experience, this wasn't the case

My experience is from a friend that upgraded to fibre last month and booted into build xxxx.263 firmware. Of course he might just of been lucky.

On VPN, I suspect it's a matter of how the particular version works. If it involves installing VPN software onto the router then the answer is going to be no go.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DS
Seasoned Champion

a friend that upgraded to fibre last month and booted into build xxxx.263 firmware

Maybe the mothership is looking after it's newest born...?

Whilst it's older kids are left to fend for themselves....!! Grin

Of course he might just of been lucky.

Or unlucky... I have read somewhere on here that a user didn't see any improvement after the update. I believe BobP is taking a closer look - trying to replicate the issue himself.

Once my router does an E.T, I may be able to see if my issues with WiFi also 'go away'...?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DS wrote:

I could well be wrong on this too, but it's 'first in, last out' then they could still be shipping ones out with older firmware, that may or may not update a day or so later...?

We're shipping with 4.7.5.1.83.8.259, and we have an activation event in place that will upgrade newly dispatched devices to 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 within a day or two.

We will start using 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 in manufacturing shortly but it will take some months to filter through the warehouse.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DS
Seasoned Champion

Darn it!!

but it will take some months

Can't see a PNH2 anytime soon then, never mind Sad Wink

@1jim did you become 'one of us'?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@1jim 

If your current router is VDSL capable and you can access its settings to change login details then you can use it for PlusNet.

Settings required can be found at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

1jim

I did 🙂
Good deal via moneysavingexpert 😉
Couple of weeks till change over but it's all in progress.... Oddly Plusnet have given me one date and existing supplier a later date so time will tell I expect
DS
Seasoned Champion

Oh boy, what have you done!! Bunch of idiots nice people are we.

Oddly Plusnet have given me one date and existing supplier a later date so time will tell I expect

Shocked You want to keep an eye on that. PN taking over before you leave, then it should be okay, if your current one drops you too early, it could cause an issue/delay Lips_are_sealed

(maybe a PN staffer can 'keep em peeled' so you have a smooth transfer....?)