Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacement router

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: replacement router

@Longliner wrote:

Can someone with more knowledge than mine explain why an ADSL filter is used on a VDSL connection? Surely Alex needs a mk 4 faceplate with two sockets, one phone and one RJ45 to the router?

It should really be called a DSL filter - it's just a low pass filter, so will block any frequencies above the voice band, whether ADSL or VDSL.

A Mk4 faceplate would be neater, and also contains additional RF ingress protection. Whether it actually gives better performance will depend on how 'clean' and interference-free the line is.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

A filtered faceplate if wired correctly restricts connection of the hub to the faceplate only and filters the connection to all other extensions. Consequently no dangly filters are required at any outlet and the probability of electrical rubbish picked up on extension cables or incorrect wiring screwing up the broadband signal is reduced. A filtered faceplate is not essential but highly recommended.

The fact that Openreach or its subcontractor installed a non filtered one as part of a broadband installation is most disappointing. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Back to PN then, give them a call and they will start the ball rolling. I think we all agree that there is something amiss with your master socket and the BT guy who installed it has slipped up. Good luck Alex, and please let us know how you get on.

alexatherton100
Dabbler

After all that....

BT hub in - has added 1GB to upload (when operational) from 3 to 4.

But it is a phone line fault. Green box needs a big overhaul I think!

Appreciate all help. Not yet resolved but closer.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Glad to hear you're making some progress Alex, at least you know the source of your problems. Hopefully Openreach will sort it before too long. If the engineer does call with you he might fit a new faceplate and tidy up your master. Have the tea and biccies ready 😉