cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacement router recommendations

Adamroberts

replacement router recommendations

hi 

So we have the plusnet one router ( this is the 2nd one i have been given)

We constantly suffer with connection issues and the router loses connection, has poor wifi coverage and we have had to turn of the 5ghz setting as this made it all worse( plusenet support advised me to do this )

So im wondering if i replaced the router with my own, which is probably going to be a better spec i am guessing, can anyone recommend a router that is not going to break the bank.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated, also if there are any instructions that i will need to know to make it compatible with plusnet etc.

thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: replacement router recommendations

@Adamroberts 

It all depends on whether you need more bells and whistles. We all have our favourites.

If all you want is a replacement for ta Plusnet  Hub with better, more stable WiFi then go on to an auction site and buy a BT Smarthub 6. They go for around £20.  For settings follow the links in this post. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Adamroberts

and if i wanted one with some more bells and whistles, what would be your favourite ?

Baldrick1

@Adamroberts 

To be honest I don’t have one. I use a FTTP Business Smarthub 6, which I can use with an unlocked HG612 should the need arise, see my previously linked posts for details.

My advice is to decide what bells and whistles you require such as guest network, embedded VPN, WiFi6 etc. and importantly, your budget. Then look at specs and then refer back here for an opinion on your chosen device before buying. Otherwise you will probably get nearly as many opinions as replies.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Adamroberts 

Further to my last post you have got me thinking what I would get if BT decided to lock us out of Smarthubs.

My  initial thoughts go along the line that if I was going to spend folding money then the main factors that come to mind is that more wireless devices are appearing in our home all the time and that FTTP is on the horizon.

I am of the opinion that fancy WiFi 6 routers are a way that device manufacturers are trying to keep hold of the ‘one box is all that you need’ market. I’m sure that this is fine in many homes but if you have thick walls or well insulated stud walls with embedded aluminium faced insulation boards then WiFi distribution from a single router can become problematic. I would therefore go for a mesh system that had the option for an Ethernet backhaul.

As FTTP is on the horizon I would not spend money on a combined modem/mesh router set up but use a separate modem.

The other factor I would consider is that every Watt of energy consumed by items powered up 24/7/365 costs about £1.20 a year and rising. It doesn’t sound a lot but if you count up all the devices that today’s homes have it does become significant.

If I was looking for a simple replacement simply because I had a down on BT I suspect that I would have difficulty finding a combined modem/router with better basic performance for under £100 , although there might be some bells and whistles thrown in. I would start by looking at TP Link.

Moderator and Customer