cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pnhub1 visibility

GPJP

pnhub1 visibility

I see pnhub1 in my iMac finder even though I am not using the router in my Hub One, only the modem. When I put a usb drive into the USB socket on the Hub One I can see its contents.

Is that what I should expect?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: pnhub1 visibility

@GPJP   Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by you are not using the router in the Hub One? This hub is a combined modem router. You cannot configure it to work as a bridge modem in isolation.

Are you double NATting it with a separate router without realising it? Maybe if you explained how your set up is interconnected it would help? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GPJP

Thanks for your reply.

I have switched off the wireless in the Hub One. My network is created by the router and wifi in an Apple Time Capsule which takes the internet from the Hub One modem.

Hope that makes sense.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm assuming that you've got the TimeCapsule set it up in bridge mode?
If so the Hub One is providing all the routing and network allocation and the TC just the wifi.

Your hub one is still on and running the network which is why you can see it and the disk.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@GPJP wrote:.

Apple Time Capsule which takes the internet from the Hub One modem.

As I said before, the Hub One is NOT a modem, it is a combined modem/router. You can bypass the modem section by plugging an additional modem between the DSL output of your filter and the red WAN socket on the Hub but you can't use the Hub as a stand alone modem.

My network is created by the router

Which router? If there is one in the Apple device and you have not switched this off by configuring it in AP mode as advised by @dvorak then you have two routers connected in series, which can cause all sorts of problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak

The TimeCapsule is a router / backup device that stopped being sold 5+ years ago.

Customer / Moderator
GPJP

My set up has gathered many spiders' webs since first set up! So I checked, and you are right, I am using the router in the Hub One, and the wireless of the TC. Which explains why I see the pnhub1 USB socket.

This all prompted by failure of the disc in the TC, so I am pondering how to rejig my BU, now that my TC - which endured 10 years - is no more.

Thanks for the prompt!

dvorak

Most reliable way to backup with ™ is to add an exterior drive via usb and backup to that.
I’d also add backblaze into the mix for an offsite backup solution
Customer / Moderator