cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet one hub gateway

ace192

plusnet one hub gateway

if i connect a router to my plusnet one hub, vie ethernet, can the plusnet one hub act as gateway only? as the router is [-Censored-]

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: plusnet one hub gateway

If you are using an Ethernet port on the Hub One then you are using the Hub One as a router.

What precisely is your gripe with the Hub One? If it is just the wireless side then I believe that you can switch the Hub One wireless off if you wish. You can also connect a Wireless Access Point to the router via an Ethernet cable. Or just leave the Hub One wireless on and fit a repaeater somewhere near.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ace192

well, plusnet couldn't really tell me anything about my issue apart from change the channel of the wireless... i don't have a vdsl modem so wonder if i can remove the hub from my setup completely and use an alternative router to handle inside the home... ideally using the hub one as a gateway between another router and the fibre means i can iron out any issues indoors without the need to contact plusnet.

just wondered if it could be done with this sagemcom

Baldrick1

OK so your problem is associated with wireless connectivity. If you want to use different wireless access then you don't need to add an extra router, you can just add a Wireless Access Point to your network using an Ethernet port on your Hub One. This will be much easier to set up. However if you were to explain what your current problem is you will probably find advice forthcoming here, which could save you both the hassle and expense.

There are generally two things to do with the Hub One that can help resolve problems:

1. Go into the advanced settings, separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels and rename the 5GHz channel by adding 5 after the name. You can then go to your subject equipment and try both 2.4 and 5GHz channels to find the best.

2. Use an app on say a mobile phone to see what other transmissions are being generated by neighbours. I use the Android app WiFiAnalyser. Check at both the location of the router and at the location of your connected equipment. If necessary change the router channel to the one that's clearest.

Moderator and Customer

ace192

yeah - i've done both already... problem is, facetime - audio i hear is often regulary interrupted, making an audio call useless - and video send from here doesn't reach the recipient? what i was asking was if it's possible to put the hub into a modem only mode so all routing could be done with other equipment?

i already have other equipment but no vdsl modem Sad

Baldrick1

OK I will come clean. I have no idea whether you can turn a Hub One into a dumb modem. It would not have occured to me to use this as a solution to your problem. If you want to use a favoured router as a wireless access point/Ethernet switch so that you can play with settings then that is another matter. Most routers can be adapted by switching off DHCP and changing the IP address. If you do a web search for your preferred router then you will find detailed instructions.

Sorry I can't help further.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The simple answer is no the Hub 1 can't be put in Modem mode.

You could connect your other router to a Lan port of the Hub 1, but you may need to change the IP address range on one of the routers. 

Depending on what you use, you may experience double natting - must admit I didn't have a problem when I did it.