cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet modem until service is switched on?

jsknight100
Dabbler

Re: plusnet modem until service is switched on?

I go live on the 4th. What would I have to do? 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Basically, you would have to enter your PN credentials into your BT box manually, which you are obviously capable of doing, but you would have no internet connection until you had done that - sorry.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

My PN credentials would be my PN user name? Would it include my PN password?  My PN user name is already showing on my  PN modem that I am currently using.  

jab1
Legend

This is getting confusing - I  honestly don't understand how you can be connected to your current supplier using your PN username, and I thought you were using the BT Hub?

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

Sorry to be confusing. I am currently with Shell Broadband but I was using the BT Hub as it has a stronger WIFI connection. When my PN router (Hub 2) arrived today I switched to that & it is showing under broadband user name my PN user name.

jab1
Legend

I don't know how Shell connect, but something still doesn't sound correct here. Speaking from a Plusnet angle, if the username/and or password isn't correct, you would be unable to access the internet, Do Shell not have a similar convention?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  John, it appears Shell broadband does not use a username or password to authenticate routers. Any old router seems to work.

@jsknight100  You are making it very hard to help, you could have made it a lot easier if you had said what you were doing up front.

Your service may just pop into life on the changeover day, if not a reset of the router might be needed - best way to say for sure is you tell us what happened on the next day.

jab1
Legend

Cheers, @Mustrum - horribly insecure, but maybe @jsknight100 is one lucky punter, and things will go as planned. If not, your suggestion sounds good. Could you keep your eyes on this, as I am unlikely to be around much after Tuesday?

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

Sorry to cause confusion.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know ASAP. Just to further muddy the waters. When I do a speed check on my mobile the provider comes up as TalkTalk.

I thought BT hubs were locked. I am not sure how mine worked on Shell!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

My guess is that Shell are using line based authentication, DHCP or some other method of getting you online.

When the Hub Two was connected, it sounds like it successfully provisioned and pulled down the Plusnet PPP username/password.

Assuming this to be the case, and assuming the Internet connection is still working, then I expect everything will switch across without further intervention on the day.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jsknight100
Dabbler

Thanks that is good news!

jab1
Legend

Thanks @bobpullen . Lets hope so - but this is one I may watch - if I get chance. Hopefully I won't - I don't see my friends that often, so spend very little time on the laptop while I'm with them.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

I don't know if this is relevant but my BT Hub was updated several time whilst I was connected to Shell Broadband.

jsknight100
Dabbler

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I have now successfully switched to PlusNet Broadband. 

jsknight100
Dabbler

Is It possible to use my BT smart hub 2 on plusnet if so how do I go about it?