cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet hub one keeps dropping wifi connections

jamesrender
Hooked

plusnet hub one keeps dropping wifi connections

my plusnet hub one keeps dropping wifi connections. It's been doing this for a while (several months).  It's a real pain on devices that aren't smart enough to reconnect - Samsung `Smart` TV's I'm looking at you.

I've turned off the 5GHZ.. changed channel.. turned it off and on again, and again, and again

When I get home from work, I really don't want to be spending my time providing a wifi reconnection service to my family.

I've attached a screenshot of my 'Information for HelpDesk agents' and an wifi connection showing dropped connections

There's seems to be a lot of forum posts with the same issue, any indication its a bad firmware update - seems likely to be a good reason why a functioning bit of hardware stops functioning..

18 REPLIES 18
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: plusnet hub one keeps dropping wifi connections

Download a wifi analyser app, and then select manually the least busy wifi channels;
also ensure when you're using the 2 bands, ensure that both bands have different ssid's.
5ghz band is currently far less busy.
If you're still not resolving the issue, buy a 2nd hand Openreach Router, which'll work
with PN, when settings adjusted.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues with your wireless signal.

For clarification does your WiFi drop on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies? Does it also drop on the 2.4GHz frequency when the 5GHz is switched off? If that latter part is true you shouldn't be affected by the known issue with the latest firmware affecting a small number of people, as far as I'm aware that issue is resolved by switching 5GHz off.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

thanks for the suggestions, yes I've been monitoring the channel usage on a wifi analyser, strong signal.  I don't have any devices using the 5Ghz band so have turned that off.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us, do you still have problems following switching the 5GHz off?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

yes, still having problems, the event log screenshot in the original post showing the disconnections is post-5Ghz turn-off

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for confirming @jamesrender 

As it looks like you've tried more than one Hub One at this stage it may be looking at buying a wireless booster, powerline adapter or a more powerful/different type of router to try to improve the wireless signal further.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

without being rude, I should expect the router provided by my ISP to provide sufficient wireless connectivity, signal strength is not the issue.  This is a recent issue, I've been with PlusNet satisfactorily for many years. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid that the wireless signal within your home isn't something we're responsible for and it's also not a chargeable service as WiFi while convenient is a feature of a free router we provide.

To be honest I'm really not sure what else we could suggest as you seem to have done everything you can do already. Have you maybe tried a factory reset of your router using the pinhole at the back?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

I can't remember if I've tried a factory reset, probably means I haven't. I can try that.

I guess we have different expectations of the features provided by an ISP's router, mine being that Wifi is a crucial function.

Not to worry, if the factory reset doesn't work, I'm out of contract next month so I can find another ISP happy to provide a router who doesn't drop connections multiple times a day.

cheers

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to see you're wanting to leave us.

Without forgetting that there can be an array of environmental factors both within and beyond your control which can affect the wireless signal within your home, for example a neighbour could've bought a more powerful router, paraphrasing our response from Here if we were to guarantee WiFi signal by providing a more expensive/higher spec router or additional equipment, this would likely reflect somewhere in your subscription costs/activation fees.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

I am happy to provide a screen shot of wifi analyzer showing the signal strength of the wifi networks. Will need to be at home to do so, cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @jamesrender although I'm not sure that seeing a screenshot would change the advice we've provided.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrender
Hooked

I was thinking the same thing, though it might prove that the wifi signal is not the issue. It would be a moot point as it wouldn't change the situation but it might help inform anyone else having a similar problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you believe the issue isn't related to the wireless signal can you connect a laptop or computer into your router using an ethernet cable to test? That way you'll find out definitively if the problem lies with WiFi or otherwise.

I can also see your router hasn't dropped connection in 19 days so it may be worth rebooting it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet