Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router - set up Q

steveo3002
Dabbler

new router - set up Q

ive received my new router for a planned switch over on monday

says i must wait for an email telling me its switched /ready ....wont my internet be off at that stage ?  i dont have any mobile /other way to receive emails  

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: new router - set up Q

I would switch it on Monday morning. It should connect itself automatically when the service comes live. If it doesn't simply push a pin or similar in the Factory Reset hole and keep the switch closed for 20 seconds or so, this will start the automatic set up process off from scratch again. Note that it can take up to midnight for the service to be fully up and running so many customers start the router up early, it won't cause any damage.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @steveo3002

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your order.

As you mentioned an email will be sent out that you will receive an email advising your service has gone live. Similarly we also send text messages to mobile devices advising the same.

We advise not to leave your router plugged in and switched on on your activation date. The reason why is that this can potentially lose the automatic setting used for the 'plug and play' aspect and may require a full reset. The only other potential suggestion would be to plug the equipment in but leave this switched off. You can then switch this on at intervals every hour or so for a minute or 2 to see if the router lights show as connected. If not, then switch off again.

As advised this can take anywhere up to midnight to occur.

If you need any further assistance please let us know.

steveo3002
Dabbler

will the old service work up until change over time or no?

like i say i wont get any email if my internet is off 

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @steveo3002

Thanks for getting back in touch. We do advise that during the transition you may experience a small amount of disturbance to connection on the day you switch over to us. The signal is switched off with your current supplier during the completion day, we then switch our service on for you.

As you mentioned you would not have access to your emails I would advise the only suggestion would be to plug the equipment in but leave this switched off. You can then switch this on at intervals every hour or so for a minute or 2 to see if the router lights show as connected. If not, then switch off again.

Let us know if you have any further questions.