Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new problem losing wifi connection

FIXED
outinthesticks
Grafter

new problem losing wifi connection

Over the last few weeks I've started to lose the wifi connection in all parts of the house and on a variety of devices (iPad, phone, amazon echo etc). Can still get a broadband connection via the internet. Its now happening on a daily basis.

I'm using a Netgear N300 router. I've tried updating the firmware but nothing seems to happen.

Grateful for any ideas? New router?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: new problem losing wifi connection

Fix

@outinthesticks 

Your router sounds to be a bit long in the tooth. I would go onto EBay or similar and get a BT Smarthub 6 for little money. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

outinthesticks
Grafter

I followed your advice and got the router you mentioned. Your instructions were really helpful. Thank you!

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @outinthesticks,

Glad to hear @Baldrick1 has been able to help

Let us know if anything changes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
kryten66

Hi,

Can you help please?

I'm getting this very same issue in our house. My mobile (Samsung Galaxy S7) and my wife's phone both lose connection very often. It started a few weeks ago and is now very annoying to say the least having to keep on manually going into my phone's wifi setting and re-connecting (which it doesn't always do until about the 2nd or 3rd or even more attempt!) 

I don't want to have to buy a new router as it is working fine except for this issue. Please advise.

Thank you.

Lee.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@kryten66
Are you using a Plusnet Hub One router?
If so have a read of the post entitled 'Hub One 5 GHz WiFi Issue' which is pinned at the top of the Router section on the forum.
kryten66

Thanks for your reply @NigeBoy but yeah although I believe it's a Hub One router from Plusnet all that forum post says is to change the channel the router uses. I've done that and still the same result. I will contact the support to see what they say. 😊

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi kryten66, before changing channels I'd try an android app called "WiFi Analyzer" that will show you which is the best channel to set the router to that's free from interference or clashes with surrounding networks. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kryten66

Hi @adamwalker 

Thanks for the info! I've downloaded and installed that app but I'm a little confused at what it's showing me! lol

My router is the PLUSNET-SRHS, but why would there be two of them??? (I undrestand the 3rd is the same router but using the 5Mhz freq instead of 20Mhz). The DIRECT-05-HP ENVY is my wireless printer.

I think my router and the printer is on CH 9 with CH 44 being used by the 5Mhz freq. So according to this app, nothing should be interfering with my signal.

Thanks agian.

Here's a screenshot...

Screenshot_20200203-150004_WiFiAnalyzer.jpg

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@kryten66
It is the part about splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs and even switching off the 5 GHz altogether which may be relevant to you.
That circumvents a known problem affecting many customers where the 5 GHz connection loses access to the internet and home network but is still broadcasting.
kryten66

Thanks for the suggestion @NigeBoy 

I have now disabled the 5Ghz wireless, so let's see how I get on for the next week or so...

Cheers! 👍