Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone / ipad wifi issues

DevonJon
Hooked

iphone / ipad wifi issues

Hi

Background

• Connecting to our home wifi we have an iphone 8 and a 6, 2 x ipads. 1 x Android tablet and 2 amazon fire sticks.
  • All the i-stuff have same issue which none of the others have. 
  • I am not a router guru and it remains set up as out of box 

Issue

• Sporadically every few weeks an i - device will lose connection to wifi. When I go to forget network and try to reconnect inserting password it simple says 'incorrect password' (even though its right).  
  • This feels like its been occurring on and offer for 12mths, is increasing but there was clearly a period sometime ago when this 'started' before which it had never occurred. 

Workaround

• The only work around I have is to reset network settings on i-device, reboot router, wait for all to stabilise then reconnect to wifi upon which the same password then works.
  • Reboot router knocks off my direct wired PC, laptop and Sky so is prone to upsetting those or work being done on them. 
  • If I sort one i-device out in this fashion it is often, not always, case that all the i devices need that reset process. 

The rant

• I am sick of this. Never experienced with previous router / iphones. Never have this issue when connecting and retaining connection to a relatives BT router.
  • I don't sense this issue is unique have scanned the net but all I've seen as fixes is the process I describe above. At best its a temporary fix for a few weeks. Inevitably fails at the most needed moment. 
  • I tried Plusnet direct was sent Tweetland and then 2 days later was fobbed off by being directed to a generic 'wifi help page'. 
  • I tried calling Plusnet and the deafening annoying music led me to give up after 20mins. 

Help - Anyone have any permanent solution to this before I just give up and move my service elsewhere?

Many thanks

DJ

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: iphone / ipad wifi issues

@DevonJon  Welcome to the forum.

The very simple answer is to spend about £20 on an auction site such as Ebay and get a BT Smarthub 6. Setting instructions are here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DevonJon
Hooked

Thanks. Interesting angle. Previous provider's (many years ago) router belly upped so I did buy and set up my own. 

If I went that way,  in truth I'd not be heading into E-Bay for anything like this and not adverse to spending more than £20 given the hefty home based working reliance we have in these times.

So I'd wonder why not go for something like - D-Link DIR‑2660, EXO AC2600 

Out of the box would a brain engaged but router numpty be able to get this working with Plusnet?

And how certain would I be this fixes the i-device issue? 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@DevonJon 

Buy with care, you should look to purchase a modem router, throwing money at fixing issues can lead to disappointments.

Dan.

Baldrick1

@DevonJon 

You need a combined ADSL/VDSL Modem/router. My reading is that this is only a router so you would also need to buy a modem.

Accepting your desire to spend lots of money you need to get a clear idea of your requirements including what extra bells and whistles you need before shopping around.

Moderator and Customer

DevonJon
Hooked

No desire to spend , wrong time of year per se, just plan B. So skipping off that and back to core issue.

As I'm wiping the i-devices networking setting and that prompts an i-reboot it is my assumption that some residual artefact is left on router radar which only a reboot clears. This says to me the router is at issue not the 4 differing age of i-devices and its the router causing a block that prompts the i-device to think the passwords wrong (when it isn't)..

So is there something I can change on the router to stop this?

cheers

Baldrick1

@DevonJon 

It's definitely a router issue. Plusnet have been promising a firmware update fo over a year now.  There are beta versions of a new version being rolled out to a few so if theis email gets picked up by Plusnet then maybe you will be included.

Another thing to try that cures many apple device connection problems is to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz band. It might be worth you trying this  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Once that you have done this try each band in turn and use the best.

At the end of the day the Hub One hardware is,underneath the garish case, an old BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked (and flaky) Plusnet branded firmware. Hence my original reply to your question: "Does any-one have any permanent solution?"

Moderator and Customer

DevonJon
Hooked

Appreciate that thanks. Half the battle is knowing the fault is not localised (to the user!). Hadn't clocked it was a known issue. 

I've checked and 5ghz was synced with 2.4. So I've stopped the sync and added a 5 etc to it. Set everything up to recognise both. See how it goes. As my internet is powerlined down to lounge for Sky (4 storey house) the propsect of changing router is not welcome (and would a large cup of tea and a fairycake and a day to sort - probably a scotch too)  so I hope this works. 

Many thanks 

DJ

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@DevonJon - I've just pushed an update to your router that should help. You'll need to reboot it at your side to apply the changes.

Hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DevonJon
Hooked

Thanks Bob - first time I've had chance to reply. I rebooted Monday morning and so far nothing gone wrong. If I can say that in a few weeks then all will be good 🙂  Can I ask what the update was? Cheers DJ

DevonJon
Hooked

Bob

We have a problem.

As can see by chain on Sunday afternoon I split my 2.4 & 5 into separate channels. I checked all devices were working and had both options to connect.

On Monday I rebooted given your message. No issue with connection and iphones and tablets since ...however.....

I tried earlier , first time since Monday, to use one of our FireSticks. Not connecting WiFi. The other one is same. I tested and both worked on Sunday.

I've told Firestick to forget network, rebooted, reconnected using password (and again via WPS) it says connecting, authenticating, obtaining IP address then hangs.....and hangs....then disconnects. Then a Firestick screen pops up saying problem with WiFi. Tried this several times. Both channels. Same outcome. No connection. Other wifi devices are still behaving as expected.

As I say they both worked on Sunday. Not a problem I've suffered before Monday. 

Groan!  and Help !

DJ

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your original wifi problem sounds very much like one i was having with the 5GHz channel. Bob pushing the firmware update fixed that for me.

Odd that the Firesticks won't connect now. Are you able to put one of your iPhones on mobile data briefly and setup a wifi hotspot to try connecting a Firestick to? Just momentarily to check it will connect to something, and rule out it being a problem with the Firestick...

DevonJon
Hooked

Thanks. 

I can make a correction. My newer lounge Firestick and furthest away from router now works fine. 

The other Firestick does not work and still has issue stated above. I connected to mobile phone hotspot easily and it worked. So issue remains that the update has stopped a Firestick from working. Fact its the older one might be a reason. But it streams fine and had no issue before.

DJ

Baldrick1

@DevonJon 

When all else fails.....https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/iphone-ipad-wifi-issues/m-p/1780570#M22948

Moderator and Customer

DevonJon
Hooked

Lol. Anyone would thinks its Baldrick sponsored by BT. 🙂 In truth if I hear no words of joy from Bob and given its a 3 yr old Firestick at issue (and the newer one is fine) I may just ditch it for a new one. Though useable its slow and January sales will see modest price drop. Far far less pain than getting a new router and trying to configure it via powerline again.