Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 won't connect to wifi

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: iPhone 6 won't connect to wifi

Not many Hub 0 / 2704's have the 5Ghz bands though, so not much help!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Sorry, @Mustrum  - I didn't know that, otherwise I would have pointed it out earlier.Smiley

I have no interest in the crippled kit PN (and other suppliers) issue these days.

John
Beedis007
Dabbler

Hello,

I have a Plusnet 2704n...

so like Mustrum said “the link provided, wasn’t much help unfortunately”.

i don’t have the same interface as the thread provided 😕.

Regards

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Beedis007

Have you tried completing a factory reset on your router (using the small pin hole on the back)? If not I'd forget the network again and try this. Please note by resetting the router it will revert settings back to default.

Also, have you recently updated the software on your phone at all?

I can see we've recently sent you out a new router, is this the one you're currently using?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Beedis007
Dabbler

Hello,

The fault is the same with my old router (prior to today) and the newly installed/setup one today.

The phone has the same response before and after a recent update (today) no difference in the outcome, the fault remains.

There is no point in doing a factory reset as the new router was newly installed today and the fault remains.

Regards

jab1
Legend

@Beedis007 If all other devices connect to your home wifi, the fault is with something on your phone, nothing to do with the router.

John
Beedis007
Dabbler

Hello,

no, it’s not the phone as it works on other ISP and connects to their WiFi fine.

It also worked up until a week ago fine, so the phone is fine.

would a static IP address solve the problem?

Regards

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Never owned an iPhone myself, but I'm wondering if there's an issue with the phone looking for IPv6?

All routers come with IPv4 and most other ISP's also use IPv6, but Plusnet does not.

Could that be a cause?

(I don't know, just putting that thought out there?)

would a static IP address solve the problem?

If you mean giving the phone a static IP to the router, then yes it's worth trying, if you mean your 'outside' IP then I can't see why this should make a difference.

jab1
Legend

@DS wrote:

Never owned an iPhone myself, but I'm wondering if there's an issue with the phone looking for IPv6?

All routers come with IPv4 and most other ISP's also use IPv6, but Plusnet does not.

Could that be a cause?

(I don't know, just putting that thought out there?)

Don't think that's the problem @DS  my iPhone works perfectly through my TG582n modem/router, and  the OP's should be on the final OS for that phone (10).

John
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Beedis007,

As you mention it keeps prompting the messages 'unable to join network' and 'incorrect password'.  A static IP wouldn't solve the problem as the issue seems to be based on the wireless network connection. 

If you unplugged the router from the phone line entirely and it was just powered on you would still likely have this problem.

Have you tried changing the wireless channels in your router? there may be wireless interference which is causing your phone to drop the signal.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If we are experiencing issues on wireless, then it is recommended to change this to one of the 13 channels listed.

From what you describe, It looks like it's accepting the key so it doesn't seem like its the Iphone not liking the password. But maybe the signal is being lost by the phone.

DS
Seasoned Champion

edit. @jab1 

Ok, just a thought;)

Does seem odd the OP is having this on 2 PN routers, but not other routers.

Guess the question is, does it connect to other PN routers (not owned by the OP?)

If this was on a Plusnet Hub One, using either 2.4GHz or 5GHz (split btw),then I can relate to this as we recently had two guests, both with iPhones, one would connect whereas the other did notHuh, just don't know why?:(

edit2. Have you tried forgetting your routers saved networks on the phone, then trying again?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Not really relating to @Beedis007 's query but @DS Apple devices are notorious for not liking 5GHz connections.

Had a friend who recently got a BT Home Hub 5 within hours he was calling me for 'tech support'.

He said he was having problems connecting to his wifi on his Ipad. I called it before he gave any further information, that he'd wandered out of the room furthest from his router on the 2.4GHz wavelength and entered the room closer which then tried to connect with the 5GHz. Within a couple of mins I'd split his 2.4 and 5GHz and he had no issues.

I'm not 100% why this happens on Apple tech.

It's covered pretty well here

DS
Seasoned Champion

Just a little diversion - I can see what you're saying Matt, and I should have made it clearer, both iPhones were tried on both of my split 2.4GHz and 5GHz, one phone connected and one phone would not, thus one failed on 2.4GHz too. Though totally off this subject, I think I've just spotted something regarding the PNH1. I'll pop it up on my thread shortly.

Had a friend who recently got a BT Home Hub 5 within hours he was calling me for 'tech support'

Boy, s/he must have been desperate then. Endure the notorious BT 'tech support' or call you, crikey, were these his/her only options?!!Funny

But this is why I've always split my wifi, and only used 2.4GHz ;). Avoids these design built nigglesLips_are_sealed

Beedis007
Dabbler

Hello,

spoke ken to Apple today and said do complete backup and reset on the phone.

which I have done and the problem is still there.

I don’t think it’s the phone, I believe the WiFi is the problem.

As again, using another WiFi (non-plusnet) the phone connected and reset my phone to it’s previous status.

Regards

DS
Seasoned Champion

Long shot...

But is your routers SSID in the form of PLUSNET-xyz or PLUSNET xyz?

(don't post yours up, but note the dash (-) between the examples)

Or is it a choice you've made ie Beeds-wifi or Beeds wifi

(again note the dash)