cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac won't connect to Plus One router

Shrimper

iMac won't connect to Plus One router

I'm a long standing plus net fibre broadband user and have just been sent a new Hub One router which connects fine to all my devices except my iMac which keeps telling me to put in a WPA2 password and then tells me my password is invalid (it's not!)

I spent nearly an hour on the phone to plusnet support earlier this evening and they concluded that this was Apple's problem, not theirs!

I can't believe I'm the first person to experience this problem, has anyone found a workaround please?

i'm running Mac OS X El Capitan btw.

7 REPLIES 7
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: iMac won't connect to Plus One router

Have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks by changing the name of the latter ?

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

just to back up what @bill888 has posted, splitting the 2.4 / 5ghz networks is likely to resolve this.

It certainly did with the issue we had with MBPs
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
giratingtoad
Hooked

Did you solve the issue?  I am experiencing the same thing when I try connecting my MacBook to my daughter's plusnet router when I visit her.  All our phones, and windows pcs connect flawlessley, but the Mac just shakes the screen at me and says the key is invalid. But I'm typing the key correctly! SOOOOO frustrating. I even logged into the plusnet router via a windows pc (actually the same MacBook booted off my secondary windows partition). I changed the security settings and key and yet when I try connecting with these different credentials I still get the shaking screen and 'invalid key' error. My Mac just will not behave with PlusNet routers.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The solution is described above.  Many iProducts has significant issue maintain wifi connectivity when there are both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks available using the same SSID.  It ought not be a problem ,but it is.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@giratingtoad

Splitting the two frequencies apart generally solves a lot of problems especially with Mac's.

Please let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
giratingtoad
Hooked

Great advice. It worked a treat!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm glad to hear that!

Please let us know if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet