cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set hub one tcp time_wait (port map time setting)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how to set hub one tcp time_wait (port map time setting)

If you're polling your own server from your own desktop PCs then the router has nothing to do with it as the traffic never leaves your machine, as from what I understand both client and server are on the same machine!

percepts
Dabbler

it goes via the router. Again, it worked with old router and all I changed was the router and the problem appeared.

percepts
Dabbler

And it should be obvious to you that connecting to mail server is done via a mail host name which is managed under the dns system so connecting to the mail server on my own machine requires going to external dns to look up the IP of my mail host name. Email client doesn't know mail server is on sme machine. And installing plug and play router configures your PC to do stuff it seems you are unaware of such as routing traffic which is why its called a router. So your theory is at best naive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@percepts - Funny

As the youth of today say 'What ever!'.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@percepts wrote:

And it should be obvious to you that connecting to mail server is done via a mail host name which is managed under the dns system so connecting to the mail server on my own machine requires going to external dns to look up the IP of my mail host name.

Not necessarily. If you only access the server locally and never access it from the wider internet then it's quite feasible for your clients to reference it by local IP. You might also be using hosts file entries. It has to be said, your tone really isn't doing you any favours if you're here for help Undecided

I'm going to make an outlandish suggestion and ask that you try altering the MTU of your network adapter to align with the router. Open a command window as administrator and do:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

This should list your network adapters, identify the one you're using and note the MTU value in the left hand column.

Then do:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “name_of_interface_from_previous_command” mtu=1488 store=persistent

Press Enter, restart the machine and see if it helps.

To revert, repeat but replace the MTU value with the number you noted from the first step.

If the issue is still evident then I'd be keen to see a wireshark/packet capture of the problem in action.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

percepts
Dabbler

no didn't work. I shouldn't need to mess with mtu settings in windows 7 which has self tuning tcp stack (to a point).

I'm not going to mess with wireshark.

I ask again, can you tell me time out settings on hub one and connection limits?

If not I'll just invest in a decent router/vdsl modem and leave it at that.

percepts
Dabbler

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're polling your own server from your own desktop PCs then the router has nothing to do with it as the traffic never leaves your machine, as from what I understand both client and server are on the same machine!

@Anonymous wrote:
@ @percepts - Funny As the youth of today say 'What ever!'.

then changing the router wouldn't have started the problem and I wouldn't be here asking about it would I.

Any more useful suggestions?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm not familiar with the Hub One, but you could try checking its logs and seeing if it has any settings to adjust its firewall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well changing your router would have an effect, as it would depend on who or what was providing your DNS. Once a Client looks up DNS it caches the result for future use (at most the uptime of the PC) so the next time a DNS request is made the ‘answer’ comes from the Client itself, so in your case only one DNS request would be made to a resolver outside of your Client until the PC was restarted or the DNS flushed.

So, can you tell us who or what is providing your DNS?

percepts
Dabbler

another blind alley you want to try and lead me up.

Forget it, I'll be getting a new device soon and problem will be sorted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's a blind alley, but you know your setup better than anyone; we really are only trying to help. But fair enough, we can leave it at that. But remember if the issue does persist once you've replaced your router, simply come back and let us know.

percepts
Dabbler

neither of you knows anything about the hub one router and neither of you can tell me anything about it. Instead you are suggesting the usual diversionary tactics to avoid the question. If you don't know anything about the router then you aren't qualified to answer the question so don't waste my time with pointless suggestions.

Neither of you has any intention of even remotely considering that the router is the problem. All your're doing is trying to create the impression of being helpful when infact you aren't. If you don't anything about the router then say so. But I've worked that out already.

legume
Rising Star

Well LOL at the attitude from someone who used words they clearly don't understand to construct a meaningless question and demand people know a setting that probably doesn't even have tuneable on a linux box.

I mean seriously, have you even read -

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc793

Even if there is a hidden tuneable when you understand what time_wait is and how tcp works you will hopefully see why asking about hub ones setting is not going to make any difference.

No one said that the router isn't to blame. I avoid locked down routers just because you don't know what's going on.

Bob offered to wade through pcaps for you - but apparently that's not good enough 😞