cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with choice of router to replace hub one (adsl modem)

sjhall12345

help with choice of router to replace hub one (adsl modem)

We are stuck with old school broadband and I'm trying to spread the speed we get around our house better

I have researched ADSL modem routers but still not really clear which one I should get. Has anyone got any advice that they can give me?

I have a couple I have seen.I have 130 pounds to spend on one 

My son has his Xbox one upstairs and gets high ping rates -we have a powerline in his room and one connected to the hub one and I have split the 2.4 and 5 g so that it is only his Xbox one on the 5ghz

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: help with choice of router to replace hub one (adsl modem)

@sjhall12345

Most VDSL2 modem/router also support ADSL so it might be worth looking at this thread at Kitz's website. The posters there are extremely knowledgeable (many work in the telecoms industry) and Kitz is a Plusnet ADSL subscriber herself.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

No connection to that website other than a reader.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
sjhall12345

read through this long list .i was really after suggestions 

I have an ADSL line coming in as we get broadband through phone line .so i need an ADSL modem router ideally that is really strong and provides signal everywhere 

has anyone used a particular ADSL modem router 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

There are really two problems, your connection speed and the distribution of that connection through the house.

I assume "fibre" (VDSL) is not available to you as that is most likely to be the fix to your connection speed problem.

I'm not convinced that a different ADSL router will do much to your connection speed or ping.

The one that is easiest to fix is probably the distribution of the connection. I've not been very impressed with powerline adaptors. Would it be possible to get a "real" network cable to another point in the house nearer to the users and have some form of second WiFi unit there ?

I am the satisfied customer....
sjhall12345

and use a switch ?

i know what you are saying , i just wanted to avoid drilling the ceiling 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

It comes down to what is achievable.

I would suggest a second WiFi network nearer the Xbox.

In our house, the router and (WiFi) is downstairs and WiFi performance upstairs (perhaps 8 or 10m away directly) is worse than right on the router. I'm looking at putting a second cabled WiFi repeater upstairs to provide better coverage.

The thing with any device that uses radio is the "inverse square law" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law ).

Also you will find the speed is best by putting the master phone socket and the router nearest the users of WiFi.

I went to some trouble to get the best from my ADSL line before changing to VDSL (Fibre).

I fitted one of these

"GENUINE BT Openreach - MK3 2014 Version - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate"

from Amazon at the master and I plug the router in there. It isolates any internal phone wiring you may have from the external line.

What you can do depends on the trade off between "domestic acceptability" and performance !

I am the satisfied customer....
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 2.4 GHz wifi should have better range and penetration, and with adequate signal strength, it should have more than enough bandwidth to cope with ADSL speeds.