Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extend signal from Plusnet 2704n with own Safeguard settings

FIXED
Lighthouse
Dabbler

extend signal from Plusnet 2704n with own Safeguard settings

Hi, I'm wondering if its possible to

a) extend signal from main router (Plusnet 2704n) to another part of a house (annexe) using a second router

b) if so, does that second router have to be a Plusnet 2704n or would other routers be compatible ?

b) could I have different Safeguard settings for each router ?

c) could/would the second router have a different wifi password to the main router ?

Grateful for any advice, expertise.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: extend signal from Plusnet 2704n with own Safeguard settings

You do not want a second router. You do not say whether it is just wireless or Ethernet that you need at the remote location. If it's only wireless then a wireless extender such as this should be good enough for a 2704 n http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627?_$ja=tsid:11525%7Cacid:Kelkoo%7Cagid:Technology+%2f+Laptops+a...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1, Thanks for replying.

Yes, I could just use an extender but its not really extending the signal that's my problem. I want to try and extend the signal to another part of the house so that I can have Safeguard settings on that extended signal that are different to the settings on the main router -- and I don't know if that's even possible.

Thanks,

L

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

Safeguard is applied at the network/DNS layer, not at a device layer, so what you're hoping to achieve isn't possible I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Yes I was afraid that might be the case -- just wanted confirmation, so thanks for the info.

I need to find a way of only allowing very limited apps and websites to the devices in the annex and parental software doesnt cut it 😕   Maybe Open DNS would be a solution ? I'll see.

Thanks