cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dyndns

dermotbdobson

dyndns

Hi, I'm new to Plusnet, in the middle of transitioning from Sky to Plusnet unlimited fibre and have received my Hub One today, for activation next week.

On Sky, I've been using DYNDNS so I can connect in remotely to my CCTV camera system (Blue Iris).

Does the Hub One support DYNDNS? If not, can I set it into modem mode and use a separate router that does?

Ideally, I want to do some port forwarding to access the cameras directly, as well as the Blue Iris device.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: dyndns

@dermotbdobson  Welcome to the Plusnet forum.

I'm unsure about Dyndns, no doubt some-one else will come along and advise on this.

You can set up port forwarding

You cannot use a Hub One as a bridge modem, however you do have other options. You can set a second router up in Access Point mode or you can use any third party Modem/Router as many of us do as Plusnet hubs are not that good.

Unlike many ISPs you are not constrained to use only a Plusnet hub. Setting instructions are here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dermotbdobson

Any recommendations for an alternative modem that I can set into bridge mode?

I don't necessarily need a modem/router as I have an ASUS router that does all I need.

i'll go with the supplied Hub One to get going initially.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I believe the Hub one does support DynDNS , this https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-support-ddns-no-ip/td-p/1360936 might help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@dermotbdobson 

I believe that some TP Link modem/routers can be set up as bridge modems.

A cheap and effective alternative is a model 3B Huawei HG612. These were one of two standard modems supplied by Openreach up until a few years ago and are plentiful on auction sites such as Ebay. They can be unlocked should you want access to your DSL stats.

Moderator and Customer

dermotbdobson

I did see that earlier, but is is close to 4 years ago - have Plusnet been supplying the same modem/router as back then?

Baldrick1

@dermotbdobson 

If you mean the Hub One, yes.

It really gets worse than this, under the hood is an old BT Home Hub 5A  (released by BT 2013) with tweeked flaky firmware.

Moderator and Customer

dermotbdobson

This TP Link device is less than £20 and seems to have a lot more functionality; various comments on Amazon state it works fine on Plusnet fibre.

TP-Link TD-W8961N

The Plusnet supplied one has just arrived, activation due next week - will have a look at that before buying anything else.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The  TD-W8916N  is an adsl only modem/ router , it will not work on a fibre connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.