Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to wifi

felicity2802
Hooked

connecting to wifi

Hello, 

We only set up our router on Monday after switching to PlusNet, everything connected fine and went well until Wednesday. Now my mobile phone will not connect to the wifi and the Xbox and tablet keep on un-connecting. 

On my mobile it connects for 30 seconds then goes, when you try and re-join it says wrong password (its not) or cannot connect to PlusNet.

Any ideas? Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12
bigvlad123
Hooked

Re: connecting to wifi

I would personally start with full reset of your router using a pinhole above the power supply connector and leave it without power for a good minute. Then set it all up again.

felicity2802
Hooked

thank you, I will try that now Smiley

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@felicity2802 Welcome to the forums. This behaviour is not unusual. I don't know which phone or tablet you have, but a quick and simple way to solve this is to 'forget' the network on both items, completely power them down, wait a minute or so, then restart and reconnect - this works 100% on Apple products, I don't know about Android devices, but suspect it will work. Definitely don't know about the Xbox - never owned one, but again, you won't lose anything by doing the same on that.

John
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bigvlad123
Hooked

Great suggestion John, if one device is playing up. In this case it was phone and Xbox (don't own one either).

Had similar issue with Access Point set up. Full reset worked for me.

jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @bigvlad123 , but I've been in this game for a very long time, and found that once one goes, others follow, sometimes at the same time, and it is quicker to reboot a phone than restart a network.

John
felicity2802
Hooked

Thanks, I did this, it connected for 20 seconds then lost connection again. it keeps saying incorrect password when i try and connect again, even though its the same password used on everything else which works. i must of trued 20 times now. maybe its the phone. its an old iphone 5 so could be a problem there. the xbox is ok now i have reset. thank you. 

felicity2802
Hooked

ohhhh i just reset network settings completely and touch wood it has worked.....for now!! thanks all Smiley 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@felicity2802 if the problem reoccurs it is probably worth splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands and assigning a slightly different name (SSID) to the 5ghz band. Some older devices can get confused when both bands have the same name.

• Access the router configuration pages by browsing to https://192.168.1.254

landing_page.jpg

• Click 'Advanced Settings' in the horizontal navigation menu, enter the router admin password when prompted (found on the little removable card) and click 'OK'

admin_password.jpg

• Click 'Wireless', then '5 GHz Wireless'

5ghz_1.jpg

• Under 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' select the 'No' radio button
  • In the Wireless SSID box add '-5G' to the end of the string
  • and apply the changes

any devices that are only 2.4ghz capable will now only see the original wifi network name. Any devices that are 2.4 & 5ghz capable will see 2 networks, one with the original name and one with '-5G' after it. You can then select which one you wish to use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

You did correct with the iPhone, @felicity2802 - that would have been my next suggestion, as Apple devices can 'loose the will to live' sometimes, for no known reason, and especially as they get older and you change routers/connections. Glad you sorted it though.😀

John
bigvlad123
Hooked

Wow, checking other forum threads, it looks like, there is funky business going on with these routers. I'm glad I have wired connection to my home network and everything else stays the same. Using different access points than Hub itself.

Great suggestions here. I don't even own iPhone so can't comment what these devices are like, connecting to new networks etc.

Also, I should have asked first what has changed since that Wednesday. If the new device was connected and Hub went haywire..

This is good read about it even if it may not be directly related due to new firmware now being rolled out.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363#M15510

@jab1 I'm young "old school taught ". If something goes wrong I prefer to start all over again. Hence, suggested hub reboot.

jab1
Legend

@bigvlad123 I'm old school 'check the obvious first' taught - I was IT support before most of the world knew what it was.

I started in 'Network support' in the days way before Windows, when computers took up whole floors of buildings and ran via tape.

John