Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

choice between extend master socket and use cat6 cable

FIXED
laurencewithau
Dabbler

choice between extend master socket and use cat6 cable

Hi. I have Plusnet fibre to green cabinet.

the BT mark2 faceplate master socket is here in my study with the Plusnet hub router and PC.

At the moment the router is about 12 feet away from the master and connected by a cat6 RJ45 cable hard wired into the A and B terminals in the master faceplate and plugged into the router via an RJ11 to RJ45 adaptor, because the router ethernet socket is RJ11.

It all works very well, with a download speed of about 57mb but originally, when the master and router were about three feet away from each other the speed was 64mb.

What I'd like to know is whether the speed would improve if I extended the master by using cat6 cable hard wired between the master and an extension socket about three feet away from the router.

I could then connect a three feet long cat6 cable between extension socket and router.

The extension socket is a faceplate and backbox with a removable RJ45 socket network module in the faceplate.

The module is a Dat-net Cat6 UTP RJ45 Euro network module.

I should add that it is broadband only, not landline telephone, which we don't need. The broadband is PC and TV.

Thanks very much for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: choice between extend master socket and use cat6 cable

When you say that your speed was 64 and is now 57Mbps, how long ago was it faster? The reason that I ask is that as more customers come on line and constantly stream to the likes of Amazon Echo devices, so crosstalk is increasing and line speeds decreasing. If you go back to your original configuration you might find that you can only achieve 57 Mbps there as well.

I doubt that your proposed changes would make any difference. Why not leave the router adjacent to the master socket and run the Ethernet cable into your study purely as a LAN. If you want more Ethernet outlets in your study then Ethernet switches are very cheap. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

laurencewithau
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1. Thanks for your reply.

It was only a few weeks ago that I changed the configuration.

I moved the router because it and the master were by the window, with three black cat 6 and cat 6a cables trailing over the floor to the PC and the hole in the wall for the two that feed the PC and TV downstairs.

By 'Ethernet switch' do you have in mind one Ethernet cable from the router next to the master, that cable going to a box with female Ethernet sockets, as a substitute for the ones in the back of the router? because that would work.

I'd have one tidy cable from the router and along the skirting boards, and then a unit with sockets for the three cables, so that they would not be trailing over the floor but would be behind the PC table out of sight. Presumably I could connect the single router to Ethernet switch cable to any of the Ethernet sockets at the back of the router. Perhaps you could confirm that that is what you meant, in which case it would solve the problem. Thanks again.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

All you need is a single Ethernet cable from any of the router’s LAN sockets into your study and one of these on the end in your study. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=sr_1_3/260-49...

This will give you four unused LAN sockets in your study.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

laurencewithau
Dabbler

Thanks very much. That solves the problem.