cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to 3rd party dns servers

hippoman

cannot connect to 3rd party dns servers

Hi, 

Since yesterday, all my devices which connect to 3rd party dns servers have been unable to connect. 

I've tried a number of dns servers:

google - 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

OpenDNS - 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220

cloudflare - 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1

All get no dns response, and an nslookup gets dns request timed out

(this is setting the dns servers directly in the tcpv4 settings in the adapter) - all devices on my lan affected. 

If I set the plusnet servers (212.159.6.9/212.159.6.10), I get a successful connection. 

It also works if I set a device to use dhcp (which uses the gateway as dns) - this isn't feasible for most of my devices. 

The 3rd party dns servers have been working for years, and I’ve not made any changes to my setup or router at this end.

It doesn’t seem to be possible to change the router’s dns settings, as these are automatically populated when the internet connects. (plusnet hub one)

Is anyone else seeing similar behaviour?

I spoke to support and they said "custom DNS settings are not something we currently support and as such is not something I can help you with"

hmmm... 

4 REPLIES 4
hippoman

Re: cannot connect to 3rd party dns servers

update to this - fixed now. 

powering the router off at the mains, and rebooting was enough to return to normal operation. Restarting the router through the ui didn't fix it. 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@hippoman The ability to use Open DNS on the router was one of the reasons I wanted my own router rather than the ISP one.

Most (probably all) non-ISP routers would let you do this so perhaps getting a replacement is the answer.

I am the satisfied customer....
speculatrix

I discovered this discussion because I discovered I have exactly the same problem! It doesn't matter whether I use 8.8.8.8. 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1, no external DNS provider worked. I have a Sagemcom 2704 modem/router on my ADSL2 circuit.

Most of my devices use DHCP but some use openDNS (now being rebranded Cisco Umbrella), so I had some weird problems to work out.

I just rebooted the Sagemcom and it all seems to be working again.

weird!!!

oh, I didn't have to power cycle, just reboot from the web UI

speculatrix

deleted