Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

baffled in setting up OpenVPN router

FIXED
kevbro
Hooked

baffled in setting up OpenVPN router

hi,
recently I decided to set up a VPN for my streaming boxes.

Plusnet Tech support were very kind enough to say it would be ok to do this, so I bought an Asus N66U in the mistake belief that I could use it to replace my Plusnet Sagemcom Hub One, alas it does not have a phone line input.

I'm not at all good at this stuff, but after a lot of research I feel I'm pretty close to solution - but not there yet!
I do have a partially working set up now, but cannot access the Asus to add the VPN.

to better explain my dilemma I have attached 7 photos of what I have tried so far.
any help would be very much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: baffled in setting up OpenVPN router

Fix

I don't own an Asus, but as no one else has responded, here are my thoughts.  I don't think your semi-working configuration will work because the internet port is not connected to the Hub One.  Your earlier non-working method was I think the way to go, but you forgot to change the IP address of the Asus.

Factory reset the Asus and disconnect it from the Plusnet Hub One.

Log into the Asus and change the LAN IP address of the Asus from default 192.168.1.1 to say 192.168.11.1.

Reconnect and log into Asus at new LAN IP address 192.168.11.1.

Connect the blue internet port from Asus to any yellow LAN  port on Plusnet Hub One.

Check you have basic internet access.  If not, configure the Asus WAN/internet port for automatic DHCP.

Now configure the VPN client on the Asus to connect to your VPN provider.  Connect your streaming boxes to the Asus.

You may have to connect the youview box (and smart phones) to the Hub One because I presume the remote VPN server will not be in the UK. 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kevbro
Hooked

thank you very much!
it will b late afternoon before I can do what you advise,but will report back.

kevbro
Hooked

@bill888  you are  a life saver! 
if you are ever up in Lancashire I owe you a pint ... no a gallon ... no a brewery!

what you said worked a charm, I have 2 working boxes & 2 good WiFi sources.
I'm particularly grateful also that you mentioned my Youview as without that tip I wouldn't get any EPG's etc.

so thanks to you I have won a Major battle - but not the war.
on completion of your advice, and when exiting the routers config screen it asked for my Asus account.
I did not have one, so went online and created one (it's needed to get into the config screens again)

but low & behold I could not enter my email address of xxxxx@xxxxxx.plus.com
the input field it too short to allow me to enter the final character! ... idiots!

so I can't set up the VPN, I'm in no hurry so will crack this on Monday.
(they only do 9-5 Mon-Fri on landline and the online forms are a nightmare)

bill888
Champion

fwiw, I'm not familiar with this 'Asus account' as I don't own an Asus, but I would hope you can access the Asus on eg. 192.168.11.1 with a web browser if you specifically connect to the Asus wifi or LAN port.  (You won't be able to reach this IP address from the Hub One side)

kevbro
Hooked

you are right about being able to access it via the browser (and I can via the installed utilities also),
but as I said, on first access it demanded an Asus account at the end of the set up.

but now it asks for the account details before allowing me in to get into the interface to do anything.
if my email address was one character shorter there would be no problem.
I'm confident that me & Asus can crack that though.

bill888
Champion

Perhaps you could create/use a free email account (eg yahoo.com) as a possible workaround?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevbro wrote:

but now it asks for the account details before allowing me in to get into the interface to do anything.
if my email address was one character shorter there would be no problem.

The easiest thing to do is setup a Plusnet email ALIAS just for this Asus account.

If your normal (but too long) email address is say -  xxxxxx@kevbro.plus.net

create a shorter email alias that gets delivered to your usual email mailbox,

so for example your shorter ALIAS might be -   vpn@kevbro.plus.net  or  asus@kevbro.plus.net

Login to the Plusnet Member Centre here - https://www.plus.net/index_portal.html

Go to "Manage Account",

then "Email Settings",

then "Manage My Mail"

to get to this screen -

PlusnetEmailAlias.jpg

Then within the Aliases tab, add the new shorter alias name, and choose which of your existing mailboxes you want the message to be delivered to.

Give the Plusnet servers a few minutes to catch up, and after a few minutes you should receive a Plusnet email with subject "Your new email address" confirming your new settings.

Before using this new email alias with your Asus account,  first test it for yourself to ensure that when a message is sent to the alias, that it gets delivered to your expected mailbox.

Do this by sending an email with subject "ALIAS TEST MESSAGE" to the new alias email address,  then check your usual email INBOX to ensure the message has been delivered.

Wink

kevbro
Hooked

thanks @Anonymous

I thought I was reasonably switched on for a 73 year old, but never gave a thought to using a shorter email!
to be fair though this whole Asus issue has been doing my head in for days.

I simply am losing the will to live with Asus though - I have now have reset my account with them but still cannot succeed in accessing the settings - they won't even recognise the serial number to register the product.

It seems pretty obvious what it is (see photos) but  I have tried all the possible combinations of characters 2,3,4,6&7 I can think of.
don't bother yourself with it though - I'm in the right mood now for a 'kick-ass' phone call tomorrow!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevbro wrote:

...  I'm in the right mood now for a 'kick-ass' phone call tomorrow!

Good luck with that !  Roll_eyes

kevbro
Hooked

@Anonymous   @bill888

thanks once again guys for all your help - everything has now been resolved - Asus ass has been severely kicked!

basically what Asus told me is that router log in not the online account log in details that I had to create at the end of the initial set up, but the routers own log in. during the initial set up the default username & password were 'admin'

however, during this initial process Asus have a mandatory policy to for users to change at least the password.
(I did remember being asked to create a security password, but thought that was just for Wi-Fi security)
so that's it really - when accessing via the browser one uses the routers log in, not the online account one is also forced to create on completion of the set up!

some may say that I am a silly old fool - I would say that the Asus manual and router set up is rubbish!
why force one to create an unnecessary online account and muddy the waters?

should anyone else ever have to set up an Asus I would make 3 last points ...
1. forget the online account - it is a distraction
2. it you ever have need to reset your modem remember the so called 'security' password
3. if you ever have to call Asus tech support pray that you do not get a  South Africa guy named Paul!

he spoke as if he was paid by the words per second - and spewed info out by the paragraph - I could hardly get a word in. he was quite frankly not fit to be on a help line, and got quite a mouthful from me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevbro wrote:

... I can't set up the VPN, I'm in no hurry so will crack this on Monday.
(they only do 9-5 Mon-Fri on landline and the online forms are a nightmare)

So after all this polava, did you get the VPN working ?

@kevbro wrote:

should anyone else ever have to set up an Asus I would make 3 last points ...
2. it you ever have need to reset your modem remember the so called 'security' password

I *think* if you did actually 'reset' your device, that the username/password would return to admin/admin.

kevbro
Hooked

@Anonymous wrote:

I *think* if you did actually 'reset' your device, that the username/passwork would return to admin/admin.

you are quite right,
but during the setup process it does force you to change password, so it's worth remembering it 
methinks I rambled on at bit in my explanation as I was quite wound up with that tech guy