Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rt-ac68u help me please ?

warrenhull
Dabbler

asus rt-ac68u help me please ?

Hello Everyone

First post, and I am not a novice, but I am far from being fully competent, ha ha.

I have been using  the Plusnet one supplied modem/router till now, with my fibre installation

I want/need to go vpn, and so looked into it, for a few weeks, and then took the plunge and bought an Asus RT-AC68U.

The idea was to use the Plusnet one as the modem, and plug the Asus in as a wireless router.

Now I am wondering if I have made a mistake !

Something to do with PPPoA, is what I have discovered the Plusnet supposedly uses, and the Asus can't do this, and will only talk PPPoE.

Please tell me I haven't made a big mistake, and the Asus is useless with plusnet.

Can I just connect them via the Lan ?

Or are the speaking different languages ?

I picked up the Asus RT-AC68u today, and have not yet removed packaging, or opened it. Should I just take it back unopened, saying bought wrong one, because I am a divver! 

Or can someone please help me, and tell me how to set it up ?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
mharvo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: asus rt-ac68u help me please ?

if you wanted all in one box, you need asus DSL versions, the RT version will work with the Open Reach BT modem, but not with the current PlusNet Hub 1... there is a new version coming out this month apparently Asus DSL-AC88U

https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

https://www.asus.com/Networking/xDSL-Modem-Routers-Products/

Can you not use vpn on the pc...the RT version can be setup with Purevpn do a   search for them and the best are the paid ones but If not and still want a dsl/vdsl modem router you need the DSL version.

warrenhull
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, but why I want a vpn capable router, is because there are that many devices/electronics in my building connected to the internet, that this is the best way.

The computer is probably the device I am on least in the whole building.

If it were as simple as  a computer, it would be done, but there are that many electronics that I can't put vpn software on the router is best option, but it looks like I have the wrong one, and need the right modem/router 

mharvo
Rising Star

Your RT version will work With a compatible adsl/vdsl modem, and comes with vpn but you also can put 3rd party software vpn on it, ie Pure or Nord ... up to 5 devices using one account, use apps from the vpn vendor especially good for mobiles out and about and need to check with work lol on a secure network

warrenhull
Dabbler

Thanks, I realise this now.

I didn't realise the Plusnet one was not compatible, because the home hub 5 was,.

I checked others were using the rt  on plusnet, and thought plugging it in the wan  would be ok.

I realise I need a vpn  provider as well, I just need a wireless router capable of sending a vpn signal to them (because I can't put software on every device)

I thought let's go wireless router through hub, and to the vpn provider.

But I am stuffed because the RT  is PPPoE  and Plusnet hub is PPPoA

So it would have been easier to just buy a Vpn  capable modem/router.

I have found my old BT home hub 5 out, would I be better keeping the Asus rt, and running it through the  HH5 , although it is a type A, and have been reading stuff about only works with B and stuff ?

Or shall I just take it back and buy the modem/router that's vpn capable ?

Thanks

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Personally I would be taking the Asus back and finding a modem/router with the specs that matched my needs.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
warrenhull
Dabbler

Also I have just been reading on this Plusnet board, a guide to using BT home hub on Plusnet fibre.

It states that on a HH5 it must be type B, because type A doesn't have the red  wan port.

Well I had BT fibre, and mine says it is a type A, and guess what colour the WAN port is, red !

mharvo
Rising Star

Personally I would take it back, get a dsl/vdsl version, the newest one from Asus that I posted above is/about to come on to the market at £219.99 making it future proof read the spec sheet, wifi seems unbelievablely fast over a network...

It all depends on how much you want to spend, or want the latest, best capable device out there for your needs.

Currys/PC World price is to be £209.99 so for new tech leaves the dsl-ac68u looking quite inferior but it does the job at £144

warrenhull
Dabbler

Thank you for you help and advice, much appreciated mharvo .

This was why I went for the router, price, and would fulful my needs.

That's if it would work.

I have read all sorts about the Asus DSL-AC68U, as regards reliability, overheating, and communicating.

O.K, if it fails they are the people that write about it rather than those with no problems, but I got the RT from Currys (3year guarantee) and so would you say,

IF the dsl-ac68u meets my needs, and there should be no problems with a

plusnet fibre  connection (already connected) this would probably be my best option , as regards a vpn modem/router that will connect to Plusnet fibre with no problems, plus a 3 year guarantee.

I would just swap and pay a few quid more.

Thanks 

mharvo
Rising Star

If you can exchange it for the dsl-ac68u, then great, if it works happy days,  only £25 extra as the Rt version was on offer at £119, they are good modem routers when they work with a standard, good connection, not so with a bad connection the dsl-ac68u you can only try and if you do and have problems connecting, first I would update the firmware to the latest and try again... at least then you will know but can fall back on Currys for a refund lol hopefully it will work... the chipset on the new dsl-ac88u is far superior ... might upgraded to one after a few reviews... hope you get it sorted... trial and error but a lot of people have the dsl-ac68u working fine on plusnet fibre and fibre extra Smiley

warrenhull
Dabbler

Thanks again Mharvo.

I think it probably is my best option.

I have a pretty good connection here, not many faults at all.

I have already spent money on it So a bit more for one box, is probably best.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@warrenhull

re-reading your post, I now think that you want your Internet connection to appear to be elsewhere. Is that what you want to achieve ? If so, putting your existing VPN capable router "behind" your Plusnet unit may well work as the VPN connection is outward.

I am the satisfied customer....
warrenhull
Dabbler

Hello

Yes that's what I wanted, and I thought I could do it.

But then discovering  the PPPoA  (Plusnet hub) and Asus rt-ac68u = PPPoE 

So while I had it unopened, I took it back.

I think I should just buy a modem/router that is Plusnet compatible, rather than try to connect a router to Plusnet hub one.

mharvo
Rising Star

update to the new Asus DSL-AC88U will be on sale 1st April from PC World stores... Smiley slightly more expensive than the

DSL-AC68U, but supposedly far superior in chipset, features and design and future proof for VFast.... speeds !!

priced £219.99

warrenhull
Dabbler

Thanks mate !